MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Dog Tag, 61st Indep. Motor Transport Battalion

Article about: Hello, I bought recently this Japanese Dog Tag of the 61st Independent Motor Transport Battalion which was attached to the 33rd Army in Burma. I came across some stuff online while researchi

?

Default Japanese Dog Tag, 61st Indep. Motor Transport Battalion

Hello,
    I bought recently this Japanese Dog Tag of the 61st Independent Motor Transport Battalion which was attached to the 33rd Army in Burma.

I came across some stuff online while researching and wanted to ask if anybody here knows about any of that?

1. What is the Information inside this book here, is it unit history and a roster for all soldiers inside the 61st Motor Transport Battalion?

独立自動車第61大隊森第8856部隊戦友名簿(8856会 B5判 100頁) / 大野書店 / 古本、中古本、古書籍の通販は「日本の古本屋」

2. Is this Information somehow online accessible? (I want to possibly avoid Having to make a PO Box in Japan just to buy one book)

Best regards.
    - Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Dog Tag, 61st Indep. Motor Transport Battalion  

?

You can work through one of the proxy bidding sites like Buyee to purchase if need be. JACAR already has a summary of this unit's service. Are you hoping to see if the roster in the book contains a connection to the soldier # on the tag?

Tom

Rod
    ?

Hi Ben and Tom,

Here's the history for the '61st Independent Motor Transport Battalion' founded July 8, 1941. Just noticed it's listed as a "Field" type unit by a certain shall-remain-nameless knucklehead author.

From JACAR “Burma small unit histories” document: C12122448000

Cheers guys!

Rod
    Japanese Dog Tag, 61st Indep. Motor Transport BattalionJapanese Dog Tag, 61st Indep. Motor Transport BattalionJapanese Dog Tag, 61st Indep. Motor Transport Battalion
    Last edited by Rod; 10-02-2023 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Pics didn't upload

?

Quote by tomp View Post
    Are you hoping to see if the roster in the book contains a connection to the soldier # on the tag?
    Tom
    yeah that was Kind of my thought, this list has all names of the unit members inside. I would assume that the list was made from the original ww2 records the unit held that returned after the war.

Let me know what you think about that, if the number are even inside...

- Ben

?

Rod thanks for including the files of the unit, im gonna have a look into them.

Quote by Rod View Post
    Just noticed it's listed as a "Field" type unit by a certain shall-remain-nameless knucklehead author.
    The one who shall not be named, i see

- Ben

?

Note that the book is listed as a veteran's organization roster, not an official full roster for the unit. These weren't really made for the public or to research the full unit, but rather for living members to contact each other.

?

I don't have a ton of experience with the post war veteran unit books. I own one for an amphib. brigade tank unit that has a list of names and a brief blurb if they died during the war or survived, but very little else of note beyond that, from what I recall.

Tom

?

adachi and tom,
    ok i see what you guys mean, so the book is mostly not worth buying especially for research.
    thank you guys so much for your help i highly appreciate it.

regards

- Ben