Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Dog Tag Translation

Article about: Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help translating this Japanese WW2 dog tag if possible. I've been doing a lot of research with the help of previous threads like the ones from Nick Komiya

?

Default Japanese Dog Tag Translation

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help translating this Japanese WW2 dog tag if possible. I've been doing a lot of research with the help of previous threads like the ones from Nick Komiya but I'm a bit stuck with a couple of the characters and I'd like to know if I'm correct in what I've figured out.

Japanese Dog Tag TranslationJapanese Dog Tag Translation

On the front of the tag I've got the Tsushogo code in the right column as '10606' and found that it corresponds with what I think is '103 師 エ' and that means something like the 103rd Division Engineer? I found that in the 103rd Infantry Division there was a 103rd Engineer Company.

I have no idea what the symbol at the top of the middle column is but it's followed by 22.
    I'm also not clear on what the middle column means for tags during WW2, is that where the individual was trained inland prior to being placed in their unit?

Then the left column is the personal No. 7597

Japanese Dog Tag Translation

The back of the tag is also stamped however and I'm not sure what that means, if it was being reused or reissued or something.
    There are only 2 lines as well, with the first column symbol being 野 'field' I believe but I don't know what the bottom one is.
    And the personal No. 151

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

-SD

I have no idea what the symbol at the top of the middle column is but it's followed by 22.
    The kanji in question is either a 西 [nishi/west] or [4].

The reverse:
    野 側
    No Gawa
    Field Side
    But I have no idea of the unit's identity.

-- Guy

?

The middle column is the home designation number: Nishi (west) 22, which was used by the 103rd Division Engineer Unit, based in Kumamoto. It is a depot tag with the extremely high soldier number you noted on the left side of the tag.

Tom

?

Thank you both so much that is fantastic information!