Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese dress sword with family mom

Article about: Hello forum... Real quick... thoughts on the cutdown sword. Family mon faint... hamon real? No more pics sorry. I have a chance to purchase but iffy....

Default Japanese dress sword with family mom

Japanese dress sword with family momHello forum...

Real quick... thoughts on the cutdown sword. Family mon faint... hamon real? No more pics sorry. I have a chance to purchase but iffy....

More pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese dress sword with family mom   Japanese dress sword with family mom  

Japanese dress sword with family mom   Japanese dress sword with family mom  

Quote by 26Intrepid View Post
    More pics
    Unless you get it for a song, it's not worth it since the blade broke near the tip. Cosmetic temper line.

The mon is actually a family name within a circle.
    (三原)
    Mihara

Japanese dress sword with family mom

-- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 05-10-2020 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the graphic

I don’t know what these cost but he asking $150.... I’ll pass, thank you sir.

D

I'd consider $150 a song, but I'm not a collector. If you want it just to hang on the wall it would suffice, would look okay as long as it's in the scabbard.

Let some of the collectors opine whether or not the price is too expensive for the sword as it is.

-- Guy

Thank you for the comment. I’ll sleep on it....

Type 19's run $250, so $150 is well under market value for a good one. This one has the family name, so that's cool, and the broken tip can be looked at 2 ways - done during the war (so also cool, because it's a "life of the blade" thing) or post-war (kids screwing around and broke it, etc). So it really comes down to your taste, and what interests you.

This hamon is artificially applied. Dress/parade swords all have artificial hamon. You'll find real fighting blades in some of the "D-guard" kyu-gunto, so their hamon is real. But these were just for formal occasions and weren't fighting blades.

That is no Mon, but just a straight forward family name. Whether it is within an oval makes no difference.

Thank you both for the comments. I’ve decided to pass on this one. I’ve been spending too much money lately during my “Retail therapy” stay at home!

D