Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds

Article about: Hi, here are a couple Japanese tropical field caps that have finally arrived. One is the stereotypical flapped style cap you always see in the movies. The construction of the 2 caps is quite

Default Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds

Hi, here are a couple Japanese tropical field caps that have finally arrived. One is the stereotypical flapped style cap you always see in the movies. The construction of the 2 caps is quite interesting.

The other cap with metal IJA star I was told by the seller to be a "Traitors" cap. A Chinese that was either fighting/working for the Japanese. Either voluntarily, to keep the Japanese from getting upset (that way he would have a head to wear this cap. ) or involuntary

This may be true, not sure, but maybe this style is also to distinguish themselves from regular troops. I am a gun and weapon collector for many years, and have not done too much research on head wear and uniforms etc, so if someone has more info, or another cap like this, I would like to know more, and appreciate info anybody has about this "traitors" style hat.

These are supposed to be ground dug caps, like the Type 90 Japanese helmet I posted pics of a few weeks back. ( A helmet that still has remnants of the tropical cloth cover and the liner). The seller said he washed these caps because they were dirty and smelled!!

I usually Do Not touch things, and especially wash them, but I had no say in this one. I did tell him I hope he did not use fabric softener, or anything that smelled like flowers. Luckily he did a fair job, and no smelly stuff. It appears the red color might have bled a little from the liner or filler material. It still looks OK for the price. Free.

If these are "ground dug" relic caps, they must have been in a box or container of some type. The flaps of the the one cap were steamed by me a bit to lay right. I also added the tie strings to both caps with an appropriate looking string (shoe) that I aged a little.

I will be posting pics of the grouping of all the items I have purchased from my new friend in China Grenades, mines, Helmet, Dog tags etc. I am also trying to get all the info from exactly where all these items were found.

I hope you enjoy looking at the pics of these very unusual ground finds.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds   Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds  

Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds   Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds  

Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds   Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds  

Default Re: Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds

More Pics......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds   Japanese Field Caps Found In China Recent Finds  

Nice hats Kilroy. I don't know much about them but they strike a chord with me. I'm in the process of reading a book...'The Jungle is Neutral' by F. Spencer Chapman. The 'traitor' hats are described and how 'they' were dealt with.I agree that they must have been in some type of container to still be in that shape. And yep, you can't beat the price! cool

Reg
    ?

Nice find there Kilroy, I always wondered what the Russians did with the thousands of Arisaka rifles they confiscated after they hurredly got involved with the Japs at the end of ww2, they loved re-furbishing the german stuff they appropriated, I wonder if they did the same with Jap rifles?

Great caps again.

Reg

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Nice hats Kilroy. I don't know much about them but they strike a chord with me. I'm in the process of reading a book...'The Jungle is Neutral' by F. Spencer Chapman. The 'traitor' hats are described and how 'they' were dealt with.I agree that they must have been in some type of container to still be in that shape. And yep, you can't beat the price! cool

Hi, thanks, I think they are great relics too.

You have a book that mentions these hats? does it describe them in detail, and explain exactly about them, why worn, who wore them and why? Can you copy the specific the text, or pics for me to see and read?? I am trying to research this hat.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Reg View Post
    Nice find there Kilroy, I always wondered what the Russians did with the thousands of Arisaka rifles they confiscated after they hurredly got involved with the Japs at the end of ww2, they loved re-furbishing the german stuff they appropriated, I wonder if they did the same with Jap rifles?

Great caps again.

Reg
    Hi Reg, thanks. I think I feel lucky to have both these caps. Speaking of the Soviets, as a matter of fact, the seller, my friend in China sold me, and sent me a very nice RGD-33 Soviet hand grenade a few months ago, and right now I am waiting for another good condition, original paint RGD-33 head/can to arrive with other some items I purchased. I have an almost perfect handle and frag sleeve waiting here for it.

Good question. I do not know what happened to all the Japanese equip. and weapons the Soviets probably captured. They might have re-chambered them or something?, maybe sold them to other countries? I am sure ammo would have been a problem.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve

I hope you considered that these caps may come from war graves, it wouldn't be the first time something like this happens...

Greetz

Nick VR

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Hi Steve

I hope you considered that these caps may come from war graves, it wouldn't be the first time something like this happens...

Greetz

Nick VR

Hi Nick, no way to know, is there. Sure I thought about it. I think about that with all the relic found stuff. Especially personal items, and battle damaged helmets.

What I do know, is the Chinese to this day, especially the older ones would have zero respect for Japanese soldiers graves if they were found. Maybe not all, but most. The Japanese were not very nice to the Chinese.

Now that i think about it, the seller had approx. 12 dog tags, of which, I bought 3. Two of mine are from the same "light" company or division. I had them all translated and was going to to do a post on them.

There very well could have been a small soldiers graveyard or site in the remotes or China that were found and disturbed and dug up. There also could have been a bunker or cave that these were found in also. I will try to find out, but if from graves, I will probably not get that answer.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi, thanks, I think they are great relics too.

You have a book that mentions these hats? does it describe them in detail, and explain exactly about them, why worn, who wore them and why? Can you copy the specific the text, or pics for me to see and read?? I am trying to research this hat.

Regards, Steve
    I'll go back and look at the specifics it mentions and try to copy them.

?

I hate to be a doubting Thomas but I find these caps questionable at best.
    Anything coming out of China claiming to be Japanese military should be thoroughly scrutenized.
    The cap with the flaps are not common Japanese Army issue. The havelocks ( neck flaps )are a seperate item secured to the field cap using metal hooks. I have never seen an issue cap that had them sewn to the cap as a part of the cap. Original havelocks are very rare and hard to find.
    The cap with the overly large yellow star has a large red flag for me. As far as I know there was never a cap and insignia to distinguish non Japanese workers or soldiers. There were large numbers of Korean volunteers for the military and bunches of Korean labor units. They were looked upon as an inferior race by the Japanese. The few prisoners that surrendered during the Island campaigns were Koreans that had no intention of dying for the Japanese Emperor.
    The yellow star is rusted on the back side yet I do not see the corresponding rust stains on the cap. front or on the inside lining. If this cap had been buried it most certainly would have this staining.
    As I have already posted I have very little confidence in any WWII Japanese military items coming from China.
    These are just a few observations on my part.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast