Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Grenades

Article about: Here are some of the examples I have from the Type 10 through the T-99

Default Japanese Grenades

Here are some of the examples I have from the Type 10 through the T-99
    A number of Type 10 grenades came out of China about 10 years ago but they are now quite rare again. At that time all I knew of them was drawings from period manuals. I bought four of them and still have two examples which I'm grateful for because the limited supply of them has dried up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Grenades   Japanese Grenades  

Japanese Grenades   Japanese Grenades  

Last edited by arisakadogs; 09-06-2017 at 04:10 PM.

MAP
    ?

Wow very nice examples.

I rarely see any for sale locally. I only have the one in the middle and on the left (1st photo) for the knee mortar. I've been looking for an example to go with my launcher ( last photo) ...but again, no luck.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Wow very nice examples.

I rarely see any for sale locally. I only have the one in the middle and on the left (1st photo) for the knee mortar. I've been looking for an example to go with my launcher ( last photo) ...but again, no luck.
    Do you mean second from the left? The one on the far left is the Type 10 which is the rare one I mentioned. It looks much like the Type 97 (second from the left) which is more common but still scarce.
    The Type 2 projectiles are very hard to find!

Great collection and pictures for future reference. Thank you for posting.
    John

Super nice thank you for showing. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

MAP
    ?

Quote by arisakadogs View Post
    Do you mean second from the left? The one on the far left is the Type 10 which is the rare one I mentioned. It looks much like the Type 97 (second from the left) which is more common but still scarce.
    The Type 2 projectiles are very hard to find!
    sorry,,, meant far right. The common knee mortar round.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    sorry,,, meant far right. The common knee mortar round.
    No worries.
    Note that on my Type-97 the exhaust port is still sealed with solder (photo 7). This grenade must have been a dud because the primer is popped but the fuse train is still intact but oil soaked. When they deactivated these grenades the procedure was to remove the main charge, the booster and then to strike the fuse and let it burn out. On the Type 10 grenades the exhaust port was sealed with wax. On the Type 99 magnetic mine the exhaust port was sealed with a foil cover. This one doesn't have that but is still a pretty nice example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Grenades   Japanese Grenades  

Japanese Grenades  

?

I have a single grenade I picked up for a steal a few years back (they go for anywhere from $500 up in Aus). It came from a gent who was bringing a number of items directly from veterans to sell.

It is the fourth one in I think, with the star pattern radiating from around the fuse housing. Looks like a one piece solid cast body, quite crude. It rattles a little with something loose inside that slides up and down. Is there a 'guide' to removing the top somewhere? Or perhaps even checking that the thing has been deactivated? I assume/HOPE that would be the case, but I would also like to have a look at the internals.

That 4th one is the T-97 grenade which is the most used Japanese grenade in WW2. The top plate should easily unscrew to reveal what you have inside. If the exhaust port looks kinda toasted it means that the fuse train has been burnt out in the deactivation process. Any photos you can post would help

?

Thank you, I will give it a go tonight and post some pictures.

Conversely, if I never post again, know that I died an idiots death playing around with a live grenade!

Update - I'M ALIVE!!

I was pretty sure I would be. I've attached some photos after taking the grenade apart. You were spot on, it easily unscrewed. There's a little powder left in there but not much, just a few flakes. Looks like the fuse burned out too.

Japanese GrenadesJapanese GrenadesJapanese GrenadesJapanese GrenadesJapanese Grenades
    Last edited by Shamsy; 09-07-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast