Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Grenades: Type 91

Article about: Hello: Any feedback on the authenticity and correctness (if that is a word) on three Japanese grenades would be appreciated. I believe them to be a Type 91, Type 97, and Type 4 ceramic. I ha

?

Default Japanese Grenades: Type 91

Hello:
    Any feedback on the authenticity and correctness (if that is a word) on three Japanese grenades would be appreciated. I believe them to be a Type 91, Type 97, and Type 4 ceramic. I have seen several at shows or online. Sometimes missing the safety cover. Sometimes with the cord missing or replaced with a post WWII cord. I will post images of the Type 91 first. Thanks!

?

Looks like an original. Cord is replaced and safety cover is missing a piece of the brass. This is the cover that should also be on your type 97, as well as the striker that you can see inside the fuse of this grenade.

PG-

Nice grenade. Looks like the body was bead blasted and top repainted. Could have been a ground dug item.
    John

The grenades you post all have problems with the safety pin. Class 3 brass pins were not used after May 1938 to conserve brass, and instead soft steel pins were used which had to be galvanized or parkerized against rusting. Thus brass or shiny silver pins are red flags.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Grenades: Type 91  

?

Thank you Nick. I may have asked this question in the past, so my apololgies if I am repeating myself...but is there a good source of information on the history of Japanese grenades, mortar shells, etc.? Preferably with pictures. I did not see a stick regarding the topic on this forum.

?

That is a neat one.
    I'm not up to par on Japanese grenades, so use my Bing Fu and see that these could also be launched for the type 89 Grenade launcher, Better known to some as a knee mortar.

Interesting.
    Thanks for showing!!

Semper Fi
    Phil