Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Helmet Star Insignia help Please

Article about: I picked the insignia up with a bunch of original collar tabs and such. I have been trying to confirm if these are original. I searched this forum and the internet that contains conflicting

Default Japanese Helmet Star Insignia help Please

I picked the insignia up with a bunch of original collar tabs and such. I have been trying to confirm if these are original. I searched this forum and the internet that contains conflicting information. I looked at some current reproduction items as well. They look like they are 70+ years old but could be earlier reproductions as well. Is there a good resource to refer to for all of the types of insignia. I remember trying to figure out if the landing force insignia was good or bad and also had a tough time. I was also surprised that I did not find any examples on flea-bay. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John

Japanese Helmet Star Insignia help PleaseJapanese Helmet Star Insignia help PleaseJapanese Helmet Star Insignia help PleaseJapanese Helmet Star Insignia help Please

?

I think the originals have rounded prongs but I'm not sure if that is absolutely 100% correct. Nick may have covered the spec on the star in the Helmet Evolution thread. I do see one with rounded prongs in your pics.

Thanks RussM. I ran into the rounded VS Square on a few threads but not definitive. I looked the Nick's thread as well, first go to. The round and square ones have the same look and feel except to two pointed corners.
    John

Here's the back of one of mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Helmet Star Insignia help Please  

Thank you Nick. Is is formally accepted the square prongs are all reproduction?
    John

I don't know whether square-edged stars existed, but at least I can see that rounder edges prevented the prongs biting into the leather and starting lacerations.

?

I have several Japanese helmets in my collection both Army and Navy. The stars should have rounded prongs on the back, while the anchors should have squared prongs. The squared prongs stars you show are all reproductions. They look like the ones that hit the market in the nineties and have some real age to them now, however, they are repo. The one with the rounded prongs stands a chance of being original. A better close up of that one will tell the story, as there are modern stars being made today, that have the rounded prongs. The most recent ones being made lack some key elements of an original though.

PG-

Thank you Paul G. Great to know.
    John