Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake? Needing Translation

Article about: Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I was hoping someone could give their opinion on this flag...does it appear to be an authentic hinomaru yosegaki or a fake? Also, It wo

Default Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake? Needing Translation

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I was hoping someone could give their opinion on this flag...does it appear to be an authentic hinomaru yosegaki or a fake? Also, It would be greatly appreciated if someone could translate the Kanji. I've included a front and back photo of the flag and a corner tie.

Thanks

Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing TranslationJapanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing TranslationJapanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing Translation

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. Someone should be around shortly. We have some very talented members here who are well versed with these items.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Interesting flag I am curious about this Kanji on the lower right side of the flag??? in particular the two " S S" ? Characters are those characters Kanji?

Regards,Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing Translation 

It looks good to me. It is a Yosegaki flag presented to Takeo Ishibashi as he joined the navy. Those who cannot see that it's navy should read this Kamikaze Course on Self Defense Japanese

The SS part says "SS born". Never seen that before, but it most likely means born on the 3rd Year of Showa (Showa San Nen), the right age to go to war towards the end.

It is full of slogans, of which I will only explain the main one on top saying 動中静, meaning tranquility within movement, a phrase often used in martial arts. It means one must remain calm even in action to anticipate and block the opponent's move. First time I see that on a flag, but it is a common phrase in Kendo (The Way of the Sword) as in the photo below commemorating someone's ascension to the 8th Dan .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing Translation  

WOW! You guys are great! Thank you for your translating and evaluation of Mr. Takeo Ishibashi's Yosegaki flag... of which i'm the caretaker. Yes, the SS threw me off and stood out right away as I have never seen that on a Yosegaki flag before (it is partly why I thought it may be a fake). Showa San Nen makes perfect sense now.

I have a few more Yosegaki flags (one of which is from a Vice Admiral named Moizumi Shinichi -Moizumi commanded 4 Base Force at Truk when war broke out..He was also a former commander of the Maya and Akagi and a member of the Navy General Staff.) I will post photos soon and would welcome your expertise with that particular flag and translation. Hopefully, you can confirm the information I was told and also that the flag is legit.

Regards
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Default Supposed Vice Admiral Moizumi Shinichi gift Yosegaki Flag

I was told this Yosegaki Flag was given to a soldier from Vice Admiral named Moizumi Shinichi. I was hoping this information could be confirmed and that this flag is a legit Yosegaki. Any translation and opinions are very much appreciated. I have had this flag framed and it is currently wrapped in plastic to keep safe in storage -I have included photos of it prior to framing too. Thanks

Background on Moizumi Shinichi (1888-1969)
    Moizumi commanded 4 Base Force at Truk when war broke out.

Service record
    1888-4-5 born
    1909-11-19
    Midshipman Graduates from Naval Academy, standing 110th in a class of 179. Assigned to CL Aso
    1910-7-16 BC Tsukuba
    1911-2-27 Ensign
    1911-4-20 CL Akashi
    1912-8-9 Gunnery School Basic Course
    1912-12-1 Lieutenant junior grade

1912-12-20 Torpedo School Basic Course
    1913-5-24 CL Aso
    1914-3-23 Torpedo Boat Division 12
    1915-3-1 CL Yamato
    1916-2-25 CL Aso
    1916-12-1 Lieutenant Naval College B-Course
    1917-5-1 Naval College Majored Course
    1917-12-1 AP Takasaki
    1918-12-1 CL Hirado
    1919-12-1 3 Naval District
    1920-6-1 CL Tama
    1921-1-31 Instructor, Naval Academy
    1922-12-1 Lieutenant commander

1923-6-1 CL Asama
    1924-5-10 CL Iwate
    1924-12-1 BB Fuji
    1925-11-10 CL Kasuga
    1926-12-1 Commander
    1928-12-10 Instructor, CL Kasuga
    1931-12-1 Captain Commander, CL Yodo
    1932-12-1 Chief, S1, Naval Hydrography Command
    1935-10-28 Commander, CA Maya
    1937-1-15 Trip to Europe, United States
    1937-8-27 Commander, CV Akagi
    1937-12-1 Rear admiral
    Schoomaster, Navigator School
    1940-11-15 Navy General Staff
    1941-4-10 Commander, 5 Base Unit
    1941-8-11 Commander, 4 Base Unit
    1941-10-15 Vice admiral

1942-6-15 Navy General Staff
    1942-8-25 Awaiting assignment
    1942-9-1
    Retires
    1969-11-26 Dies

Japanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing TranslationJapanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing TranslationJapanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing TranslationJapanese Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag -Real or Fake?  Needing Translation
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-23-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Nice flag!

The flag was presented to Mr. Ueda Kiyoshi.

為植田靖君
    For Mr. Ueda Kiyoshi
    靖 can also be pronounced Yasushi/Mamoru

社長海軍中将茂泉慎一
    Company President, Vice Admiral Moizumi Shin'ichi

The IJN placed vice admirals as company presidents in many areas of shipbuilding, etc. In this case, Moizumi was the president of

東北船渠鉄工株式会社社長
    Tohoku Docking Ironworks Co., Ltd. President

Ueda Kiyoshi was apparently a valued employee -- I doubt vice admirals wrote yosegaki flags for just anybody.

The flag would be post-1941. Moizumi was the company's first president:
    昭和16年(1941)に太平洋戦争が始まり、
    経済統制は強化され、物資不足によって商取引は不
    活発となり、価格は上昇した。こうしたもとで新た
    に商工経済会法が策定され仙台商工会議所は解散、
    代わって宮城県商工経済会が設立され、初代会頭に
    東北船渠鉄工株式会社社長・海軍中将茂泉慎一
    が就
    任した。茂泉は大崎市の生まれ、日米戦争に反対し
    て左遷され、この職にあったといわれる。

Source

Hoping Nick will clean up my errors!

--Guy

Two corrections to make.
    The name of the owner of the flag would normally be read as Ueda Yasushi.
    Secondly what Moizumi became in 1941 was the head of the new Chamber of Commerce. The company he was president of was actually started in 1938. This company still exists today as Tohoku Dock Steel Co since 1987. ??????????? It was said that Moizumi was against the war with the USA and was therefore put in the president's post as a demotion from the Navy.

I love this forum! You guys are so quick with replies and include great (specific) information. Thanks Nick and Guy! I just joined and became a WRF Club member!

Very interesting, it was possibly noted, that Moizumi was against the war with the U.S. and was therefore put in the president's post as a demotion from the Navy. That is something that I have not read\heard about too many men of Moizumi Shinichi's military status opposing the war openly enough to become demoted. A very interesting piece of historic info!

As Guy said, Ueda Yasushi must have been a valued employee for Moizumi to gift this flag to him. I tried to find info regarding Mr. Ueda Yasushi but as I expected it would be next to impossible at least from online searches in english only.
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 03-10-2017 at 10:43 PM.

MAP
    ?

Thanks for signing up. $25 for priceless infirmation is a bargain and will help keep the forum up and running.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast