Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese ID Tag

Article about: This is another original ID tag collected by the US 6th Army during the battle for the Philippines. The tags were used to train intelligence officers as they prepared for the invasion of Jap

Default Japanese ID Tag

Japanese ID Tag

This is another original ID tag collected by the US 6th Army during the battle for the Philippines. The tags were used to train intelligence officers as they prepared for the invasion of Japan. The ID tags were stapled to the index card so I do not know what is on the back.

I am stumped. I could not find the first character on the right column unless this is some alternative way of make a number 4. The upper left is 暁 Akatsuki and given the given the the date it was collected—9 May 1945, and location, then this individual was part of the 14th Army Shipping Units. My first thought was this was part of 7th Sea Transport Battalion, but I really am not sure how to interpret this and would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

?

曉?
    七中
    四〇番

?

A strange tag, in that the company number is stamped (7th Coy at middle), but the space where the tsusho bango - unit code number is normally stamped has been left blank. Correct that the Heidan Mojifu is marked for Army Shipping Command units in the upper right (暁), but imo, I think that is where the unit ID ends. There is nothing more specific on the tag pointing to a smaller unit. Soldier number in the left hand column is 40.

Tom

Thanks for your posting. I thought it was strange not to have a unit code but was not sure if this was common. What makes me more curious now is why select this tag for training purposes? As we know, the Japanese losses in the Philippines were horrific so why this tag out of many others? Also, in looking closely at the surface and edges of are tarnished but smooth, not pitted, so this was newly issued, not re-purposed. Could it have been a replacement tag?

?

Unfortunately, I think heavy speculation would be involved concerning why this tag of all tags was chosen for training. Maybe they were focusing on the lack of information on the tag -- what NOT to pick up when gathering for Intelligence. I do not know. Great history, though, that is for sure!

Tom