MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Kai Gunto for review

Article about: Hello everyone, I finally bought my first Japanese Kai Gunto and would like opinions on it. The seller provided a translation of the signature as nō-shū sō-ka kane-toshi saku (Sōka Kanet

?

Default Japanese Kai Gunto for review

Hello everyone,

I finally bought my first Japanese Kai Gunto and would like opinions on it. The seller provided a translation of the signature as nō-shū sō-ka kane-toshi saku (Sōka Kanetoshi of Nōshū Provence) could someone please let me know if this is correct and any information on the smith and when the blade was made. This is my first Japanese blade and I live in a humid climate - any ideas to maintain it would be appreciated.

Any comments welcome

Alex
    Japanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for reviewJapanese Kai Gunto for review

?

more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Kai Gunto for review   Japanese Kai Gunto for review  

Japanese Kai Gunto for review   Japanese Kai Gunto for review  

Japanese Kai Gunto for review  

Yup, matches.

[stamp]
    濃州荘加兼利作
    [Seki] Nōshū Shōka Kanetoshi-saku
    Made by Shōka Kanetoshi of Nōshū Prefecture
    • Nōshū is modern Gifu Prefecture.

From the Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October (1939)
    兼利 荘加利一 S15.09.01
    Swordsmith name: Kanetoshi
    Legal name: Shōka Toshikazu
    Date entered the Seki Guild Log: Showa 15 [1940] September 1

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:
    KANETOSHI (兼利), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanetoshi” (兼利), real name Shōka Toshikazu (荘加利一), born February 22nd 1911, he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō, ryōkō no retsu (Akihide)

Also from Sesko regarding the ranking ryōkō no retsu:
    When it comes to gendaitō and especially WWII-era smiths, this publication includes the ranking of about 300 contemporary smiths carried out by Kurihara Akihide (栗原昭秀) in 1942 under the title Seidai Tōshō Iretsu Ichiran (聖代刀匠位列一覧). He introduced seven ranks:
    • shinpin no retsu (神品の列) Supreme masterworks
    • kihin-jōi (貴品上位) Superior precious works
    • kihin no retsu (貴品の列) Precious works
    • jōko no jōi (上工の上位) Superior master
    • jōkō no retsu (上工の列) Master
    • ryōkō no jōi (良工の上位) Superior skilled artisan
    • ryōkō no retsu (良工の列) Skilled artisan
    Cheers!
    -- Guy

That must have been an expensive sword to the original owner judging by the very large grains of ray skin on the scabbard which gives it an almost whiteish appearance from a distance. Ray skin with large grains is called “親鮫- Oyazame, parent shark” and is highly prized.

Just to give you an idea of a date for the blade, the large Seki stamp is mostly seen on blades made in 1942, however they are seen in greatly reduced numbers in the other years from 1940 - 1945

Very cool !!!

?

Top extra quality sword especially with alternating gold rayed tsuba

?

Thanks Guy for the confirmation of the translation and info about Shōka Kanetoshi.

Thanks Akira for the info on the ray skin - its definitely eye catching.

Thanks Bruce for the info on the Seki stamp.

Thanks baerchen and Jareth for the comments.

I'm assuming with the Seki stamp this would be considered a Showato made from mill steel. Would it be hand forged and oil quenched? Sorry for the newbie question.

Quote by Alex W View Post

I'm assuming with the Seki stamp this would be considered a Showato made from mill steel. Would it be hand forged and oil quenched? Sorry for the newbie question.
    We only have scarce documentation about this question - 2 - and they conflict. It is my opinion that the large Seki is found on good, to upper, quality showato. Yours is a nice example. The degree they were "hand made" vs a mix of hydraulic hammers, various steels, oil quenched is unknown. In truth, they were all hand made. I think the term you are looking for is traditionally made, which is tamahagane, hammered by apprentices, folded a number of times, then water quenched.

We would need some really good close-up photos, showing steel texture and hamon details to try to make that call with yours. Better way is to find an expert who can look it over in hand.