Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Military Pith Helmet

Article about: Hi guys, I wanted to show you all my most recent purchase. This is a WWII Japanese Pith Helmet, though missing the cap device, has an interesting inscription on the liner band. It reads, &qu

Default Japanese Military Pith Helmet

Hi guys,

I wanted to show you all my most recent purchase. This is a WWII Japanese Pith Helmet, though missing the cap device, has an interesting inscription on the liner band. It reads, "Liberated from Japanese Army Korea 1945 Quanju Richard F. Smith Lt. I Co 20 Inf 24 Corps." The Inscription certainly tells a story all unto its own. Further research will continue.

I'll certainly keep my feelers out for the original device that adorned the front as well.

Thank you for any further information you can provide.

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Military Pith Helmet   Japanese Military Pith Helmet  

Japanese Military Pith Helmet   Japanese Military Pith Helmet  

A couple more pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Military Pith Helmet   Japanese Military Pith Helmet  

Japanese Military Pith Helmet  

Not a military sun helmet, but type worn by Japanese Civil Servant Officials. In Korea, the civil government, police and foresters all wore sun helmets like this.

Nick,

I thank you for your input and expertise. Though not military issued, it's good to know it still has military appeal with who liberated it and unit unit the soldier served in.

Thank you again!

Joel

?

thank you so muck for sharing it with us.

Made in Showa 10 [1935] and named to:
    山本 二

the given name, 二 [2], can be pronounced:
    じんいち
    Jin'ichi

すすむ
    Susumu

たすく
    Tasuku

つぎ
    Tsugi

つぐる
    Tsuguru
    つづき

I looked up Korean regulations for you, and judging by the distance of the insignia prong holes in front and number of vent holes, it can only be a Korean Police Sun Helmet as introduced in 1932 (production date on yours is 1935).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Military Pith Helmet  

I recommend we petition the Emperor to elevate Nick Komiya as "Warrelics Living International Treasure."

it would be cool to find the badge and see if it fits.

The Japanese mainland police insignia is close, but the Korean version has a much larger rising sun.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Military Pith Helmet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast