Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Naval Cap

Article about: Hi, Is this authentic or repro? I've seen similar caps where the insignia has a cherry blossom over the anchor but not sure why this cap doesn't have the cherry blossom? Is it a SNLF cap? Or

Default Japanese Naval Cap

Hi,
    Is this authentic or repro? I've seen similar caps where the insignia has a cherry blossom over the anchor but not sure why this cap doesn't have the cherry blossom? Is it a SNLF cap? Or what? Also, can anyone tell me what the markings on the inside say?
    Thank you very much!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Naval Cap   Japanese Naval Cap  

Japanese Naval Cap   Japanese Naval Cap  

Japanese Naval Cap   Japanese Naval Cap  

Japanese Naval Cap  

?

Insignia is original but added or replaced post war. Note hand stitching. All insignia were machine stitched on.

?

I agree with Jareth’s assessment. Often, petty officer caps have an enlisted man insignia.

The stamp gives origin of issue and is for recording name, issue and manufacture dates, size etc.

Regards

Russ

Thanks to both of you Jareth and Russ. I appreciate the information. Ok, the cap is a petty officer's and the black insignia with yellow anchor is enlisted man's? I take it the probability of this insignia being added post war is greater than pre-1945? So is the cap original like the insignia? Also, is the cap unissued, thus the blank spots on the internal ink stamping, or are the name, issue and manufacture dates, etc. detailed in this ink stamping?
    Again, thank you both!

?

The cap looks original but I haven’t seen one without an insignia before. The badge is most likely added post war, to add value but it is applied incorrectly. The cap is un-issued, a pile of these caps with enlisted and petty officer insignia correctly applied were found a long time ago in Japan apparently, so they are usually in a near mint condition. There are known fakes of these caps with just a size stamp in them, like 58, 59 etc and nothing else. Is this the cap that was on the Guild?

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ for that information! I take it 'correctly' applied means machine sewn instead of hand sewn?

?

Yes, they should be machine-sewn to the cap.

Regards

Russ

?

Heres a PO cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Naval Cap   Japanese Naval Cap  

Quote by Gunto View Post
    Heres a PO cap.
    Could you please show an outside view of the rear of the cap - in particular where the black stripe ends are?

?

Japanese Naval CapJapanese Naval Cap

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast