Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

The Japanese Naval Paratrooper Specialty Patch Hoax

Article about: The Japanese Naval Paratrooper Specialty Patch Hoax This hoax was exposed more than 30 years ago in Japan, but news of the exposure of it being a fantasy piece never seems to have reached US

Rather quote me as saying "History is the sum of facts rather than a speculative consensus of what sounds good. If you don't have facts, keep your imagination to yourself rather than invent convenient answers that sprout legs of their own to lead people down false paths."

?

Agree & stick to non fictional writing when no answers are available

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Since with text there is a loss of tone ..and much can be misconstrued as sounding like something else...in the case of these forums..it would be best ..when something is misunderstood...

1. Kindly ask a question to explain further
    2. Go back and carefully reread the text in previous posts

This would give great support to the thread topic and everyone who contributes. its a matter of keeping balance so no misunderstandings would derail into a large disagreement.

Great Thread Gentlemen

Regards Larry
    I posted that comment (post #39) because the article that quoted Mr. Sessler's info was called into question. I know someone who has seen these interviews and can confirm that the men who were there had never seen or heard about this RR. So that part of Eric Queen's article was correct. The rest is up for debate. It was not directed at any one person. I will go there if I'm called on something though. Looking back at the posts there are a few (posts #17 and #23) that seem to swing both ways. Like someone who wants these to be true but at the same time doesn't want to be wrong. Maybe it's just me?
    Regards, Scott

?

It's you

?

Gents , it's very rare we come across back biting and antagonism in our forum and it saddens me a little to see that the atmosphere on this thread at the moment has dropped a few degrees from our happy norm . We are all mature enough to realise it ends in no good . I have a lot of respect for everyone posting in our forum and know the pride taken in their collections and know that sometimes there will be disagreements ! I ask that we keep to decent and respectful discussion/debate on our given subject matter that is Japanese Militaria . Many thanks for your understanding .

Alan
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Gents , it's very rare we come across back biting and antagonism in our forum and it saddens me a little to see that the atmosphere on this thread at the moment has dropped a few degrees from our happy norm . We are all mature enough to realise it ends in no good . I have a lot of respect for everyone posting in our forum and know the pride taken in their collections and know that sometimes there will be disagreements ! I ask that we keep to decent and respectful discussion/debate on our given subject matter that is Japanese Militaria . Many thanks for your understanding .

Alan
    For my part in this I apologize. I am actually friends with Jareth. I'm just not gonna take anything off of him. I know he feels the same way. Please don't let it get you down. It's really not nearly as bad as it comes off in our posts I promise you. In the future I'll just send him a nasty text message or relentlessly prank call him at 2am lol!!
    Regards, Scott

An interesting thread, and one I have no horse in. It rather reminds me of a few threads I've seen where Wim Saris disputed collector's myths about badges or items of Third Reich militaria from his personal library of rare Third Reich documents. Nick seems to be in a similar position with his access to rarely seen Japanese documents and I would lean to his explanation of events. I recall one case when Wim discussed a cloth badge that was based on a prototype drawing, but was never approved and never made. Post war collectors and dealers had seen the drawings and for their own financial gain had manufactured them and passed them off as originals. I suspect the same has occurred with these paratrooper patches.

The imaginative nature of US Intelligence did not only invent fantasy patches for IJN paratroopers, but even had the temerity to invent a whole new fantasy aircraft carrier for the IJN, even coming up with a plausible-sounding name of Ryukaku, a vessel that never existed.

If they were capable of pulling a carrier out of their hat, a patch should not be any surprise.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6