MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Japanese nco sword from ww2

Article about: http://collectorsmilitaria.com/a_ver...ord_062612.htm http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewt...p?f=50&t=13229

?

Default Re: Japanese nco sword from ww2

With regards to the comment about the serial number being upside down so to speak. The orientation of the serial number is a product of the swords origin not it's age. A Nagoya Arsenal blade serial number should be read with the cutting edge upward as opposed to a Tokyo First Arsenal sword which has serial numbers stamped in such a way as to be read when blade cutting edge is down.

Regards,
    Stu

Good information Stu. Thanks for the post. Welcome to the Forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Stu!
    So, based in what you are telling us, which of the arsenal markings (left, right or central) are related to serial number mark? Moreover, since the "upside down" number was marked in the nagoya arsenal, where the inspection mark should be?

Kind regards,

Felipe

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Good information Stu. Thanks for the post. Welcome to the Forum.
    Thanks Bob. Good to be here. This forum has a nice friendly feel to it. I look forward to participating and learning.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Japanese nco sword from ww2Japanese nco sword from ww2Japanese nco sword from ww2Japanese nco sword from ww2Japanese nco sword from ww2
    Quote by pereirafl View Post
    Thanks Stu!
    So, based in what you are telling us, which of the arsenal markings (left, right or central) are related to serial number mark? Moreover, since the "upside down" number was marked in the nagoya arsenal, where the inspection mark should be?

Kind regards,

Felipe
    Hello Filipe,

The arsenal inspection mark is the one in the center. The stamping on the left will be a corporate logo and the one on the right will be the arsenal identification. Stampings are read with the point of the sword facing down.

As to your second question; if you mean where is the blade inspection mark located I can say that it will be adjacent to the serial number on the side furthest away from the tsuba. I will attach some photos to illustrate the point.

If I have not provided the information you wish please let me know.

Also, I have some experience with NCO swords, so will start a new thread with info and photos in the next few days. Hopefully it will provide some assistance to those wishing to acquire such a sword.

Regards,
    Stu

Stu, I can see that you are really an expert in the subject! So, I have a question that may look dumb but, since I'm a begginer, it is important to me: any chance that brass tsuka nco swords were made? If you could take a look at the pictures in the beggining of this thread, there is a sword that has been offered to me and looks pretty original, except by the brass tsuka... Also, the arsenal marking in the tsuka is coincident with the nagoya's, whose serial number mark are made with the sword edge upward, as you've said... What do you say??

Kind regards,

Felipe

?

Quote by pereirafl View Post
    Stu, I can see that you are really an expert in the subject! So, I have a question that may look dumb but, since I'm a begginer, it is important to me: any chance that brass tsuka nco swords were made? If you could take a look at the pictures in the beggining of this thread, there is a sword that has been offered to me and looks pretty original, except by the brass tsuka... Also, the arsenal marking in the tsuka is coincident with the nagoya's, whose serial number mark are made with the sword edge upward, as you've said... What do you say??

Kind regards,

Felipe

Hello Filipe,

Thank you for those kind words although I categorize myself as more of an enthusiastic beginner with some knowledge in some areas.

In answer to your question I will say that I have never heard of, nor seen, an authentic brass tsuka NCO sword. The first run Type 95 were produced with copper tsuka and they have quite a different color. I will attach two photographs that depict this color difference, the construction difference (note lack of retaining bolt) as well as the difference in scabbard tip. You will see there is a blunt end as opposed to the subsequent versions with fin shaped drags.

In conclusion, I do not feel the brass tsuka version you show is an authentic period piece. I feel it's a more recently made reproduction.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: There is no such thing as a dumb question if it's asked in good faith.
    Japanese nco sword from ww2Japanese nco sword from ww2
    Photo credit: Michael Downey collection.

Stu, how about the serial numbers? 6 digits are too high number for a NCOs? I read that around 6,000 copper tsukas were made and that U.S. brought back around 1,000,000 japanese swords, many were destroyed, others melted... The number has other meaning than a sequeal, or just means the number of swords made? Does the serial number in the blade must be always followed by the arsenal mark? Necessarily?
    Kind regards,

Felipe

Have you seen this prototype? It is said in the forum that it is original, very unusual, and has a brass tsuka....
    Do not think that I'm being reticent to your awesome explanation, in contrary, I'm just trying to understand....

http://collectorsmilitaria.com/a_ver...ord_062612.htm

and the discussion...

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewt...p?f=50&t=13229

?

Hello Filipe,

I'll reply more fully to both your posts later today but just wanted to let you know that the links you provided in the second post both go to error messages for me. Can you please check them and confirm they still are valid and correct? Thanks.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast