Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese saber

Article about: Can anyone tell me what type of saber this might be? It was brought back by my brother's F-I-L from the pacific, where he was a Marine. When he passed away, it was given to my brother, along

Default Japanese saber

Can anyone tell me what type of saber this might be? It was brought back by my brother's F-I-L from the pacific, where he was a Marine. When he passed away, it was given to my brother, along with a Type-38 Arisaka & bayonet. I will also post those. The saber looks to be original, possibly officer or cavalry? Japanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberJapanese saberThanks for your help guys.

Default Re: Japanese saber

Japanese police sword

Thumbs up Re: Japanese saber

Quote by militarymania View Post
    Japanese police sword
    I agree alittle rust but very nice

?

I respectively disagree that this is a Japanese police sword. I can clearly see a plum blossom on the hilt which is associated with 中国 China and 満州国 Manchukuo. I would like to hear from others what they think about this sword.

I agree with Kiipu: that's a plum blossom. The design (the fifteen-stamen Manchukoan plum blossom) looks like the Manchurian belt buckle shown in Dawson's Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945: Cyclopedia Edition, p.365.

The example in Dawson differs in quality and design, having two flags of Manchukuo crossed upon the back strap executed in crisp detail.

Japanese saber

-- Guy

Neither Dawson nor Fuller depict this particular version, but they show enough variety that I would expect this to be a version of the Manchukoan Type 19. The Type 19s, in general, had a great amount of variations. Doesn't surprise me to see variety in the Manchuko sabres as well.

Possibly the variant of a Nationalist Chinese Police Sword?
    “Chinese Swords of the 20th Century” by Culbertson shows such a sword.
    Unfortunately I can not add a picture.

Michael

Koumingtang Police makes sense to me, too, as Plum blossoms were their symbol. Manchukuo instead featured the orchid on their swords in the 1934 army uniform regs, not plum blossoms.

Shown below is the Koumingtang Army field saber from their 1936 regs, just to show the use of plum blossoms.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese saber  

?

Quote by csty6973 View Post
    It was brought back by my brother's F-I-L from the pacific, where he was a Marine.
    After the war, the marines were sent to North China to accept the surrender of the Japanese troops and to supervise the repatriation of same. In the process, a wide variety of Chinese and Japanese weapons were acquired as "war trophies." I am thinking this sword is either a Chinese Beiyang/Warlord/Nationalist sword or a Japanese Puppet Government sword.

Talking

Just a cautionary reminder.. Many swords of different nations are Gilded on top of the base metal.. usually Brass. Cleaners like Brasso will wipe the plating right off as you can see in the photos (Remnants of the Cleaner in the recesses of the guard) Sometimes it can be hard to resist shining up your new toys but try to hold of until you can research the proper methods and products. Remember there are some collectors who prefer uncleaned Items, and the original finish can enhance
    The value of your investment pieces which reminds me of something a wise man once spoke to us about.

"My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them"

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice piece! Regards, Geoff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast