Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword Identification, Help Needed!

Article about: My grandfather was in the navy and was in Japan, China, and the Philippines shortly after the A-Bombs were dropped. He came back with this sword and it has sat in a chest in his basement sin

Default Japanese Sword Identification, Help Needed!

My grandfather was in the navy and was in Japan, China, and the Philippines shortly after the A-Bombs were dropped. He came back with this sword and it has sat in a chest in his basement since. I cannot find any information about it after reading and searching through multiple forums. Any help appreciated!Japanese Sword Identification, Help Needed!

Civilian dagger mount called 短刀 tantō [short sword]. Do not attempt to "clean" the blade. If you remove the handle (there is a take-down bamboo pin) the tang might have a signature.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Looks like the average tanto(basically a short katana) you can find in those days, would love to see more high res photos of it disassembled.

This should make a great decorative piece with a two-storey sword support for the saya and blade individually, maybe add a sageo to the saya!

Also is that a crack in the tsuka?

Quote by M Brandon View Post
    …. is that a crack in the tsuka?
    I think those cracks are dried same-gawa (ray skin) breaking apart.

— Guy

?

Traditional "Hira-zukuri" style blade from the Edo period. Give it a clean with alcohol to remove the grease and an oil with a light sewing machine oil or similar. On no account use anything abrasive as you can strip hundreds of £/$ value from it in just a few minutes. Over 12 inches from the copper habaki to the tip, it's a short sword, a Wakizashi, under that it's a Tanto, a dagger. Tanto are rarer oddly enough.