MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )

Article about: Guys, thought you'd like to have a look. Hal PS; Pics taken at coin shop...my apologies for the poor quality.

Hal
    ?

Default Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )

Guys, thought you'd like to have a look. Hal PS; Pics taken at coin shop...my apologies for the poor quality.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )   Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )  

Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )   Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )  

Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )   Japanese sword @ local coin shop today. ( Phila. PA )  

A long time ago in a land far,far away....

If the sword is trying to be a Japanese sword it has failed miserably.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    If the sword is trying to be a Japanese sword it has failed miserably.
    Marty
    Not so fast!

濃州関住小島勝正作
    Noshū Seki Jū Kojima Katsumasa-saku
    Made by Katsumasa, Residing in Seki [city], Mino Province [modern Gifu]

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAT75

--Guy

I agree with Guy. I don't follow this type sword, but I've seen them in books and posts. This calls for some of our experienced collectors to tell you more about the age and style of this blade.

The tsuba looked like a poor cast piece. The Habaki looked good and I will say the tang and mei had me scratching my head as looking good but the blade did not look good to me. I was not to keen on the kashira but I will add the tsukamaki was wrapped well.
    If proven to be good I sincerely apologize.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Definitely an original Showa era commercial sword and mount converted for military use. These sword nearly always have inexpensive fittings as the intended user was not a collector but a martial artist. I have encountered numerous military conversions of these type swords over the years. Cast tsuba are the norm rather than the exception.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I agree, this is a Showato converted for use in the military by having a sarute added to the grip. Depending on price, a nice item to get. The blade is probably non traditional, either plain steel or one of the variants of folded such as Hantanren. At least as desirable as a Shin-Gunto, in my opinion more so.

Hal
    ?

Thanks, Guy for translating and the link to smiths. Hal
    A long time ago in a land far,far away....