Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake? Help needed!

Article about: I mostly collect TR stuff but have always liked japanese swords. I saw this sword today at an antique shop they are asking \\$150 USD. If it is a copy it has been aged. There was some metal th

Default Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake? Help needed!

I mostly collect TR stuff but have always liked japanese swords. I saw this sword today at an antique shop they are asking $150 USD. If it is a copy it has been aged. There was some metal that was shaped like three coins linked together stuck in the wrap(as seen in photo). I took some pics on my cell phone. What do you guys think original or copy? Thanks for your help, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake?  Help needed!   Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake?  Help needed!  

Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake?  Help needed!   Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake?  Help needed!  

Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake?  Help needed!   Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake?  Help needed!  

Default Re: Japanese Sword WWII Real or Fake? Help needed!

The pictures are quite poor. However, even with these pictures, it is evident that this is a Chinese fake.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hey Bob,

How can you tell? I want to get one of these one day, and im wondering how you can tell its a fake?
    Thanks!

Quinn

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I need to get a new phone. Thanks for your help Bob. Im glad I checked here before I wasted my money on it. Thanks, Robert

Bob is correct, it is indeed a chinese fake and a bad one. To distinguish between the real deal and a fake-

1. Research
    2. More research
    3. Ask questions on the forum before you buy.
    4. Buy from a reputable dealer and if all else fales use the age old way - if its cheap, its a knock off as real Japanese swords are not cheap.

Quote by matthewsq View Post
    Hey Bob,

How can you tell? I want to get one of these one day, and im wondering how you can tell its a fake?
    Thanks!

Quinn
    In the case of this sword, over embelished decoration to the fittings is a dead giveaway. The detailing is very low quality compared to Japanese work. You need to study pictures of genuine examples. If you have the opportunity, study in hand authentic examples. As to blades, there is no substitute for hands on examination.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the info Bob and Darren I always like to learn as much as I can. I have seen them online, but never studied them or handled a real one in person.
    Cheers, Robert

?

I totally agree with Bob and Darren , walk away fast
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...