Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese? Tobacco Tin? Help Please

Article about: I picked up as an impulse buy hoping it is WWII era for a display item. I think it is a private purchase tobacco tin. There is a internal piece separating leaving about 1/3 and 2/3 space ins

Default Japanese? Tobacco Tin? Help Please

I picked up as an impulse buy hoping it is WWII era for a display item. I think it is a private purchase tobacco tin. There is a internal piece separating leaving about 1/3 and 2/3 space inside of the tin top to bottom, not side to side. Both the top and bottom slide off the end. The The character looks more Chinese than Japanese to me. All opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
    John

Japanese? Tobacco Tin? Help PleaseJapanese? Tobacco Tin? Help PleaseJapanese? Tobacco Tin? Help PleaseJapanese? Tobacco Tin? Help Please

It looks like a hand-warmer to me.

—Guy

Thank you guy.
    I have not ever seen either a hand warmer or a tobacco tin. The hand warmer makes sense since there was type of charred residue in the one side that I took for old tobacco. Any idea what period this may be from? If hand warmer I would thin more early 30's rather than WWII.
    John

According to the wiki article, it was patented in 1922; there was also a charcoal version.

I wonder if yours was exported because it says “Japanese Patented” in French:
    La Japonaise marque déposée

—Guy

From the additional information you provided; I am in agreement with your assessment,
    Thank you!
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 04-23-2018 at 02:25 AM.