Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Training Bayonet Help

Article about: Hello: Found a training bayonet with characters carved into the wood grips. Any help on a translation of the characters would be appreciated. Also, the frog has what appears to be some sort

?

Default Japanese Training Bayonet Help

Hello: Found a training bayonet with characters carved into the wood grips. Any help on a translation of the characters would be appreciated.

Also, the frog has what appears to be some sort of hanger that has been attached to it. I checked Labar's book and could not find anything similar. Could it be an add on by a U.S. GI or by a post war "bubba"?

Pictures attached, including rotated images of the grip.

Thanks!

That is not Kanji, but some other language from being used postwar by some other country.

I have never seen such an animal However, the markings on the grip plates do not look Japanese but I cannot be sure.They appear to be "Branded" or burned in? and the frog appears to be modified to mount on a web belt of some sort?

The markings appear to be Arabic. They're shown on their side here, when they should be viewed horizontally.

B.B.

If you orient the picture sideways it looks like it could be Arabic letters. Or a similar alphabet

?

There were post-war Korean modifications to scabbards that replaced Japanese frogs with canvas frogs. Shown in Labar's book as LB-300 and LB-301. The frog with this bayonet is different than shown in Labar's book. Of course, with so many bayonet, scabbard, and frog variants I suppose that this could just be one more. I was hoping that someone could let me know that it is not unique and has been seen before.

?

Also, I checked on-line to see if I could identify any of the grip markings as Arabic or Thai. I could not find similar letters/characters in either language. I would be interested to understand how non-Japanese letters/characters got burned into the grip of a training bayonet and matched up with a scabbard with a modified frog.