Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Japanese Type 3 IJA Shin Gunto

Article about: I've had this sword for many many years. And finally pulled it out to photograph. Sun was extremely bright so a bit difficult. I bought this pre my forum days as a "Navel Landing Force&

MAP
    ?

Thanks Nick.

As you can probably see I was pointed to your wonderful thread on the "Type 3" during this thread (which I have read quite a few times to really understand all that was going on) and at that time changed my own personal notes on this sword to correctly identify it based on what you wrote.

Not being a sword collector per say, I, like many others were relying on incorrect information. I would have retitled the thread last year (after reading your article) but that can only be done by a Mod.

But the funny thing is, if I could even retitle the thread, what should it be? "1940 Variant" or perhaps "1940 Army Contingency Sword" or maybe even "Special Contingency Edition" or a "Rinji". What if any term have "people who should know better" decided to call these based on your revealing article?

I for one would in favor of and more than happy if Bob wants to change the title to which ever one he see fit.

So Bob...surprise me

Thanks and Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It seems there were fewer of these made than type 98's. Is that correct?

Is it a good collectability item compared to a type 98?

MAP
    ?

Quote by dunit35 View Post
    It seems there were fewer of these made than type 98's. Is that correct?

Is it a good collectability item compared to a type 98?
    As Bruce said and as noted in Nick thread, these are much less common. But I only have 4 or 5 swords and don't really collect/study them too much (just know the basics) so I think others would be best placed to answer these questions. As noted these are/were typically sold as "NLF" swords which is a complete myth.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    As Bruce said and as noted in Nick thread, these are much less common. But I only have 4 or 5 swords and don't really collect/study them too much (just know the basics) so I think others would be best placed to answer these questions. As noted these are/were typically sold as "NLF" swords which is a complete myth.
    Thanks. I bought one from Bruce yesterday. I haven't found much information on them compared to a type 98. Besides on here.

MAP
    ?

Quote by dunit35 View Post
    Thanks. I bought one from Bruce yesterday. I haven't found much information on them compared to a type 98. Besides on here.
    Well bite my tongue...LoL and I hope I'm not chastised to much but maybe try researching under Type 3 or SNLF/NLF. Yes both are wrong designations, but maybe there is some info out there beyond Nicks great article.

Or maybe others here will provide some more feedback.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well bite my tongue...LoL and I hope I'm not chastised to much but maybe try researching under Type 3 or SNLF/NLF. Yes both are wrong designations, but maybe there is some info out there beyond Nicks great article.

Or maybe others here will provide some more feedback.
    Thanks. There is a bit more information if you type Japanese naval landing force sword.

It seems the 1940 variant would have more collectibility compared to a type 98 due to being less common. One would think the value would be higher as well. I'm sure most collectors own both. To be safe, I better buy a type 98 as well.

As you said, hopefully one of the experts chimes in.

Another question for the experts.

In Nick's thread he states (post #8) the swords weren't meant to be low quality and were meant to be made by swordsmiths. But they were poorly paid for them by the military. I'm sure that would mean the quality control would slip. Pumping them out as quickly as possible so they could make more money on the type 98.

Were all of the variants machine made or were any handmade? Did they machine make them and sign the tang?

The majority of blades in these type mounts are factory made, signed and dated. The last example I owned never had the handle removed. I was not interested in the name of a factory worker with no great skill. There are some high quality hand forged blades found in a variant of this mounting which has a rough black lacquer finish on a wood scabbard and lacquered tsuka ito. [I] am quite sure these were of a much higher expense to the owner than the standard machine made pattern.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob.

As usual, this place increases my knowledge on Japanese collectables. You guys are costing me a fortune.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The majority of blades in these type mounts are factory made, signed and dated. The last example I owned never had the handle removed. I was not interested in the name of a factory worker with no great skill. There are some high quality hand forged blades found in a variant of this mounting which has a rough black lacquer finish on a wood scabbard and lacquered tsuka ito. [I] am quite sure these were of a much higher expense to the owner than the standard machine made pattern.
    Hey Bob....see my post (#21). Feel free to be creative if you like

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast