Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kanji character help

Article about: Saw this on a T-38 carbine stock. The one character has been a mystery. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking. Regards, Scott

Default Kanji character help

Saw this on a T-38 carbine stock. The one character has been a mystery. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking.
    Regards, Scott

Kanji character help

Welcome to the forum, Scott. 90% of Kanji mysteries like here and on flags are because of fuzzy photos.

A difference of one or two strokes can make a world of a difference in Kanji, so you make a rubber duckie into a Loch Ness Monster mystery by going out of focus.

This problem is compounded by the fact that the writer used an unofficial abbreviated form of Kanji. It is marked 日機 where a modified (1 stroke reduced) was substituted to save work like in the signage below.

That was a company that made fire extinguishing equipment still in business today. Large firms had its own reservist branch within the company and they would have had guns, but with mums typically removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kanji character help 

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Scott. 90% of Kanji mysteries like here and on flags are because of fuzzy photos.

A difference of one or two strokes can make a world of a difference in Kanji, so you make a rubber duckie into a Loch Ness Monster mystery by going out of focus.

This problem is compounded by the fact that the writer used an unofficial abbreviated form of Kanji. It is marked 日機 where a modified (1 stroke reduced) was substituted to save work like in the signage below.

That was a company that made fire extinguishing equipment still in business today. Large firms had its own reservist branch within the company and they would have had guns, but with mums typically removed.
    Many thanks Nick! I am happy to be here. There are a lot of informative threads to read through. You have been busy my friend!! The subject rifle was all matching with mum intact. It was really quite nice. I am not use to seeing them that nice where I live. Hope this finds you well.
    Regards, Scott

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    ...This problem is compounded by the fact that the writer used an unofficial abbreviated form of Kanji. ....
    Man! That was giving me a devil of the time!!! If it had been as clear as the typed version you posted, or even if it was ... I *might* have been able to decypher it!

You are a true asset to this forum ~ and I'm very glad the "Powers That Be"™®© have recognized your value and made you a Lifetime Member!

Thanks for all the help you've given us.

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Man! That was giving me a devil of the time!!! If it had been as clear as the typed version you posted, or even if it was ... I *might* have been able to decypher it!

You are a true asset to this forum ~ and I'm very glad the "Powers That Be"™®© have recognized your value and made you a Lifetime Member!

Thanks for all the help you've given us.

--Guy
    Could not agree more Guy. He is the reason I am here. Nobody has done more to help me and Japanese collecting as a whole more then Nick.
    Regards, Scott