Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

Article about: I recently acquired a grouping that was brought back by a Seabee in the Pacific during WW2. Along with this grouping, I am mostly interested in this “ Kyu Gunto” Officers Dress Parade Sw

The Yataghan's maker is GEBR. WEYERSBERG for GEBRÜDER WEYERSBERG of Solingen.

Nice, early Type 38 with only a partially erased mum. I have one Type 38, serial 1245525. I have been told by the experts in the States that it was made around 1920, so yours is a little earlier. How's the bore? BTW, the parts match to a 3 digit build number not based on the serial number.

Cheers,
    Tony

You beat me to it, Kilian!

Re your sword, have a look at the dirk on this post. It does seem to be Formosa.

A collection of Japanese dirks

OR MAYBE NOT!!!

?

Thanks Tony, yes, the insignia on the Formosa dirk knife appears to be the same. Mmm. Would both the Formosa insignia and the emperor’smum be on the same sword? How could they happen? When Japan occupied China?
    I will also check the bore on the Type 38.
    But it is in good working condition. Interesting about the matching parts! The bolt has no markings or numbers on it. Only the “0” on the knob.

Formosa (Taiwan) was ruled by Japan from 1895 to 1945. During WW2 and before the Chinese inhabitants of Taiwan served in the Imperial Japanese Army.
    Surprised that your Type 38 bolt has no markings, it should be on the square shank at the base of the knob.
    Cheers,
    Tony

?

I found this on the Square base next to the nob. I assume this is what you mean?
    Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

?

So the Kyi Gunto is most likely the property of a Japanese officer prior to WW1/WW2 who was stationed in Formosa?

I don't know so much about these swords. I would guess that an officer would get a sword like this when assigned to a post based in Formosa. Not sure how many of the officers in a Formosan regiment (or colonial administration) would be native Chinese, but I'm sure some would have been, so the sword may also have belonged to one of them.

Re the Type 38 bolt, here are pics of mine. My rifle is all matching except the bolt, a common situation due to bolts and rifles being stored separately during shipment to the US (my rifle came from the US last year).

Looking at the grind marks on your bolt, I wonder if someone in the US ground them off as they didn't match the rifle?

Cheers,
    Tony

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

?

I found a couple more numbers/ markings, that I didn’t notice earlier. Also I had an extra piece for the bolt, that I didn’t know was the extractor. I found markings on the other side of the flat base of the bolt, numbers on the extractor and a number on the bayonet lug. The barrel of the Arisaka could use a couple patches run down to clean it up, but for a rifle neglected since WW2, I can see the lands and grooves and looks pretty good.There are also a few stamps on the stock butt of the rifle, a couple Japanese characters on the underside by the trigger , also , what looks like a cartouche. Also the owner/ Seabee, who brought it back stamped his name on the stock “ George Pappageorge”.

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

?

Also under the safety knob.Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

The kanji stamped into the wood looks a bit like the Hiroshima stamp. Your rifle was made at Koishikawa, so should have a Tokyo stamp. When you strip the rifle you will find many stamps. If it is matching, that 135 will be found underneath the receiver, and inside the channels in the wood. It is an early rifle though, so could well have been rebuilt by the Japanese armourers.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast