Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

Article about: I recently acquired a grouping that was brought back by a Seabee in the Pacific during WW2. Along with this grouping, I am mostly interested in this “ Kyu Gunto” Officers Dress Parade Sw

?

Default Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

I recently acquired a grouping that was brought back by a Seabee in the Pacific during WW2.
    Along with this grouping, I am mostly interested in this “ Kyu Gunto” Officers Dress Parade Sword with a white Portapee.
    I’m not sure if it is a Navy, Army or another branch.
    The sword also has a folding leaf that is part of the cross guard that serves as a catch for securing the sword in the scabbard.
    The sides of the backstrap has an unknown insignia ( where the mums are normally). And the only mum is located on the bottom of the hilt. I am wondering if this has any interesting meaning. I suppose the insignia may be a “ family crest?”

The very sharp blade is just around 26-27 inches long. It has a fuller, running almost the entire length of the blade. It still has cosmoline on the blade when it was shipped.

The scabbard is constructed of. I believe wood, with a thin lacquered shark skin covering.

This has three nice brass fittings, two at the top that serve as hangers, and one at the bottom to protect the tip.

Any help with this identification and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questions
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions   Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions  

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions   Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions  

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questions  

?

I’m sure others will comment. I believe it’s dress sword from Formosa or other territory. I’m very curious about bayonets especially leather scabbard model. Any photos?

The leather scabbard bayonet is a Yataghan style bayonet for muzzle loading rifles use by various countries with the exception of the US. I cannot figure out which country though. My original guess was Austria, but many countries used this style in the 1850's and beyond. Does not go with collection of Japanese items.
    John

Re the Yataghan, the Japanese had Enfields, and Labar has examples with some Japanese markings. This one doesn't look like a British model though, are there any markings on it?

Nice grouping. I assume the rifle is a Type 38 carbine, it looks good.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Looks look a full length type 38 rifle. Many early foreign bayonets can be found with Japanese markings. That’s why we need better photos

?

I cannot comment on the sabre, but the bayonet appears very similar to the Danish M1867 Remington rolling block bayonet. These were made by the Solingen sword makers. In my view it’s either a Danish M1867 or a copy sold by the German maker for export to the far east.

?

Thanks for the reply’s. I originally wanted to post the Kyu Gunto, but I will gladly post some other photos of the grouping. The Yataghan, I had no Idea what it was. Thanks for identifying it. It has a German maker on it, but I could not identify the maker. I will post the markings. The Type 38 Arisaka. I think it may be pre-WW1 and maybe used through WW2. The Bayonets are type 30 ( with scabbard). And a “last ditch” no scabbard.

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

?

No further markings on the leather scabbard. But it is in surprisingly good condition.

?

Kyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questionsKyu Gunto dress parade sword questions

?

The bayonet is a Danish M1867 indeed. The unit marking seems to refer to the 3rd Artillery Battalion. The maker is Gebrüder Weyersberg of Solingen, Germany. Gebr. Weyersberg, Solingen | Lakesidetrader

I have no idea how it ended up in the Pacific.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast