MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Last ditch Naval Rinji

Article about: I was wondering if perhaps to cut down materials, that the Fuchi was modified to appear as if it had a Seppa? It appears the piece was assembled while the black paint was still wet or Tacky

Thank you Kiipu, I was hoping my eyes weren't playing tricks on me!

I was wondering if perhaps to cut down materials, that the Fuchi was modified to appear as if it had a Seppa? It appears the piece was assembled while the black paint was still wet or Tacky as you can see the paint on one side of the Tsuba. I'm not trying to beat a "Dead horse " Just want to add this as a reference for future items that may turn up.

Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Last ditch Naval Rinji   Last ditch Naval Rinji  

Last ditch Naval Rinji   Last ditch Naval Rinji  

Last ditch Naval Rinji   Last ditch Naval Rinji  

Last edited by Geoff Ward; 08-28-2022 at 03:50 AM. Reason: sp

Geoff, since you are discussing two completely different swords, I moved the posts relating to your sword, and started a new thread for it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Sorry for the confusion Gents! and I apologize I was not intending to interrupt Tony's post

Regards, Geoff

The fuchi on old Samurai swords are open both ends. That's how they were made. I think it may be more flexible than the close-end fuchi.

The Tsuba always had at least two seppa - one side each.

?

Geoff, besides the date and swordsmith's signature, are there any inspection marks or numbers stamped or painted on the tang? Any markings on the nakago mune?

?

Anything that conclusively points to naval usage rather than simply late war put together for homeland defense?

?

No conclusive proof pointing to naval make or use. The use of brass crossguards and black paint gave rise to speculation that they could be navy in origin. The navy was procuring a large quantity of swords starting in April 1945 though.
    last ditch naval rinji?, Post #37

Besides the military, the Japanese Home Guard 国民義勇戦闘隊 would also be wanting weapons for the impending invasion of the Home Islands.
    Volunteer Fighting Corps
    Last edited by Kiipu; 08-30-2022 at 04:55 PM.

?

There’s a great period photo I’ve seen a few times of surrendered naval swords in the back of a truck. It was mixture of Kai gunto and a quantity of strange late war variation swords being handled/examined by GIs

After sitting down for a bit this afternoon I was able to find a couple of very small markings and numbers which I attempted to photograph I hope these will help with additional info. I am not sure the stamp with the question marks is a true stamp or just File marks... no markings on the Mune.Last ditch Naval RinjiLast ditch Naval Rinji

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast