Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Last Gunto in Java

Article about: It's been a long time since the last time i active. I decide to try to be active again in here. So i want to share this curious picture from the locally published book of Indonesian independ

Lightbulb The Last Gunto in Java

It's been a long time since the last time i active. I decide to try to be active again in here. So i want to share this curious picture from the locally published book of Indonesian independence revolution.

The Last Gunto in Java
    I think it's one of the last documented gunto usage among the TNI (indonesian armed forces) officer. It's taken place in Surabaya in 1950 after the city handover from the Dutch authority to the Indonesian one. Afterward the gunto was changed to ceremonial sword and klewang.
    I don't know if the gunto is Japanese made or locally made. I hope this can help.

Welcome back! Thanks for the great photo. Really no way to tell, from the low res photo whether Japanese or local made.

Have you studied the locally made sword industry from WWII? We have had so many swords show up in the last couple of years that were likely made in occupied territories, but none of us are knowledgeable enough to positively separate them from modern fakes. Certainly the blades with the Java inscriptions are easy to identify, but so many of them, that look like they were local productions have no clear way to identify them. Some do have unidentified stamps, though.

Thank you sir.

Unfortunately i know nothing about the local sword industry during WW2. I kind of forgot but i once read an article of that. Maybe from osprey book which tells the indonesian gunto copy is much shorter. But as far as i know, the gunto was also used by the civilian organization like forestry department as rank symbol during japanese era. I guess gunto was used in great number in java.

Once or twice, i see local seller sell a gunto online. I wanted to buy it but it looks crude. I also afraid if that thing is fake. It's not possible that gunto is locally made.

MAP
    ?

Welcome back Feldgrau. So nice to see you posting again!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello Timur ....I agree as well..great to see you back posting again.
    Stay close to the community ...we all live together here

I hope to return to Solo and meet up with you again.
    Say hello to Mr Taufiq for me ....if I spelled his name correctly.

Chat soon my friend

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by MAP View Post
    Welcome back Feldgrau. So nice to see you posting again!
    Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hello Timur ....I agree as well..great to see you back posting again.
    Stay close to the community ...we all live together here

I hope to return to Solo and meet up with you again.
    Say hello to Mr Taufiq for me ....if I spelled his name correctly.

Chat soon my friend

Regards Larry
    Thank you sir.

I hope we can meet again.

Lightbulb

Update, i found a new information regarding gunto in Java.
    The Last Gunto in Java
    From the 1960 Government county office, they still kept a gunto. This gunto was from the insurrection in 1952.
    I hope this can help.