Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Late war wooden scabbard

Article about: I have a late war wooden scabbard for my type 98 shin gunto officer's katana. It is missing the collar around the mouth of the scabbard. I cannot find pictures of what such a collar would lo

Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Late war wooden scabbard
    Last edited by rbminis; 11-16-2020 at 12:39 AM.

I apologise if the pics are not up to standard, I'm dead beat trying to get them down to size. I might add that the tang is unsigned and there are no stamps or stars or other such marks. I could take more pics if required. I'll have to remove the "male" snap fastener on the leather cover and put in a new one. I'll also have to make a strap with a new "female" snap fastener and give the other end of the strap a dual function as seppa. That is, if you guys concur. But now the pics are there and I look forward to hearing the verdict as to the real identity of my sword!

On my takayama-to
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war wooden scabbard  

My only one with eyelets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war wooden scabbard  

?

On yours it's going to be a simple copper or copper alloy band around the mouth of the scabbard.

Quote by DaveR View Post
    On yours it's going to be a simple copper or copper alloy band around the mouth of the scabbard.
    I think the band was also painted black.

The cover had eyelets.

Bruce and others, thank you for the advice. Seems like I can take copper plate, bend it oval, add an end piece with the simple blade profile cut out, and colour it black. It'll take me hours, but with patience I can do it tolerably well. Sporter and Dave, I've studied those holes in the leather with a 10x glass and I really can't see any sign that they ever had eyelets. I must resign myself to the knowledge that some were fitted with eyelets and some not. I hope you agree.
    Nick, the anticipation of finding out the true identity of my sword (be it Type 98 or Special Contingency) is making met feel excited like a kid again. I hope to gain much knowledge from you guys and I'll be ever so grateful.

?

.... "add an end piece with the simple blade profile cut out, and colour it black"..

It can be just a simple band. With that hilt you have shown, it's a 98!

Thanks, Dave. So to wrap up my question about the missing koiguchi, it seems a simple, thin band, coloured black will do the trick for an original-looking replacement. The question about the identity of my sword now seems clear also: its a Shin-gunto Type 98 officer's sword. The holes in the leather combat cover seem not to have had eyelets, so I will let it be. The missing retaining strap I can make, by uniting it with the seppa. It's either that, or attached to a leather ring going around the tsuka. I'll choose the former. Concerning the blade, being totally unmarked, I can only assume it is machine-made from non-tamahagane steel. Do you guys agree? To what degree was a traditional bladesmith involved in the making of these late-war blades? And what would be the origin and composition of the steels used? Thanks for all your contributions so far, I truly appreciate! Jan.

Photos of the parts on my Kai Gunto, you could make your retaining strap like this, and it should be acceptable.
    Ralph.

Late war wooden scabbard
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast