Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: I have begun the process of sorting out the rubble in the room that will eventually become my War Room before too much longer.Only a couple more projects in the house to complete and it will

Default Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet

I have begun the process of sorting out the rubble in the room that will eventually become my War Room before too much longer.Only a couple more projects in the house to complete and it will be my turn!! I discovered a helmet I had packed away quite a while back and thought I would share a few photos.This helmet is a little unusual as it is extremely thin and light weight.
    Another feature is its Maltese style cross liner and small split pin rivets .The top of the shell has a Type 90 style ridge and vent holes.This example retains its original chinstraps and the factory or distributors tag Due to the condition,I believe it is unissued. The material is so lightweight it has the feel of a childs toy but I am pretty sure it was made for an adult.I suspect it is yet another variation of the many styles of Civil helmets.I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this style before. Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet   Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet  

Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet   Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet  

Lightweight Civil Defense Helmet  

?

Nice helmet, I've never seen one like this before. I'm surprised at the amount of variation in civil defense helmets, it would be interesting to know if they were officially sanctioned to a spec, private purchase.

Steve.

Hey Steve, I have been seeing many variations since I started paying attention to them.Some are quite odd looking and are not the usually seen types so my guess is they were likely made for retail sale to the public.I like them because of the variety and reasonable prices (At the moment)
    Regards,Geoff

The tag merited a thread of its own. Read about it here War time labeling of Civilian Goods