Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for help identifying sword

Article about: Hello! Just received some items from my father, which were passed to him from his father having served in the Royal Marines and SBS during the second world war. One of which is a Japanese sw

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    It can be removed without damaging the blade.
    I've attempted to gently coerce it with some pliers but it would appear both ends of the screw are fused, I can rotate one end a very small amount back and forth but the piece on the other side spins with it. I can't get any leverage on it, or much grip what with it being copper, and I don't want to get too forceful with it. To be fair it was probably over 70 years since they were screwed together...

What is the value of this screw? If I destroy it to remove the handle can I easily replace it with a modern alternative whilst still retaining the value and integrity of the sword?

Quote by PaulZero View Post
    ...What is the value of this screw? If I destroy it to remove the handle can I easily replace it with a modern alternative whilst still retaining the value and integrity of the sword?
    No value to the screw unless it is solid gold or silver ... even then, the only value would be for its uniqueness. Retaining pins [mekugi] were replaced throughout the life of the sword.

Seeing that the furniture is civilian, my guess is that the wooden retaining pin was lost and the screw was used as a field-expedient replacement (which would probably make sense to the owner after he lost the original pin).

--Guy

Finding a replacement device such as the one on your sword would be impossible. I am sure there is an artisan in Japan who could make a replacement. They are not encountered often. In many long years of collecting and handling swords, I do not think I have encountered more than 5. I can not tell you much about the blade from your pictures as the forging and temper are indistinct. The blade mounting appears to be early 19th century. The blade could be contemporary or an older piece remounted.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Finding a replacement device such as the one on your sword would be impossible. I am sure there is an artisan in Japan who could make a replacement. They are not encountered often. In many long years of collecting and handling swords, I do not think I have encountered more than 5. I can not tell you much about the blade from your pictures as the forging and temper are indistinct. The blade mounting appears to be early 19th century. The blade could be contemporary or an older piece remounted.
    Well that's confused the issue a bit. Obviously removing the handle is a good way to go, but doing so would mean destroying a relatively rare clip? Can you confirm that despite its apparent rarity it is not of massive value or do you believe it's worth preserving?

Edit:

We've removed the clip. It turned out to be a standard copper rivet, looked fairly modern to me. The tang has some orange surface rust, though the tang itself is darkish. I'm currently at work with only a camera phone shot of it, however I'll get on the DSLR later...

(Oh great I view the photo on either my phone or Windows and it shows with the tang oriented the correct way, when I preview this post it's 90 degrees out, sorry about that)
    Last edited by PaulZero; 07-15-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Please shoot the tang vertical as I previously requested. Presently, everything is sideways. The top should be towards the cutting edge and the bottom the butt end. I think Guy can read this sideways . I am in a rush and will be gone all day so will reply this evening.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Please shoot the tang vertical as I previously requested. Presently, everything is sideways. The top should be towards the cutting edge and the bottom the butt end. I think Guy can read this sideways . I am in a rush and will be gone all day so will reply this evening.
    Sorry I did say, I shot it correctly and it even showed correctly when viewed in Windows, however upon upload it was rotated incorrectly.

Anyway I'll be out of work in a few hours and I'll get a much better photo uploaded then.

備中国呰部住為家
    Bitchū no Kuni Azae jū Tameie
    Tame-ie, Residing in Azae, Bitchū.

Listed here (4th from the top). This signature was used from the 2nd ~ 5th generations Tameie.

Oh .... forged sometime in the 17th century.

Hopefully Bob can narrow down the list.

Cheers!
    --Guy

備中国呰部住為家
    Bitchū no Kuni Azae jū Tameie
    Tame-ie, Residing in Azae, Bitchū.

Listed here (4th from the top). This signature was used from the 2nd ~ 5th generations Tameie.

Oh .... forged sometime in the 17th century.

Hopefully Bob can narrow down the list.

Cheers!
    --Guy
    Oh wow. That's much older than I thought it might be! I've just taken a better photo, hopefully a bit clearer.

Do NOT touch that rust until an expert tells you what to do.

(^__^)

I know you wouldn't .... but I just had to say it.

--Guy

Do NOT touch that rust until an expert tells you what to do.

(^__^)

I know you wouldn't .... but I just had to say it.

--Guy
    Oh don't worry, I'm not going near it! So do the slightly more in focus kanji in the second photo support what you thought originally?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast