MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for inscription translation help on bronze cymbal with stamped and embossed decoration.

Article about: I've come across this very recently among a group of helmets and believe it to be Japanese (or possibly even Chinese). I believe it to likely be a ceremonial symbol, but am unsure. There is

?

Default Looking for inscription translation help on bronze cymbal with stamped and embossed decoration.

I've come across this very recently among a group of items and believe it to be Japanese (or possibly even Chinese). I believe it to likely be a ceremonial symbol, but am unsure.

There is an inscription around the rim, I would very much appreciate any translation on what it may say or info on the use of this type of item.

Thanks in advance,
    John

(The picture orientation may have loaded or rotated somewhat).

Looking for inscription translation help on bronze cymbal with stamped and embossed decoration.

It says it was the property of Genkakuji Temple, Tokyo, bought in April 1845. It is an instrument called Nyouhachi and is used by Buddhist priests reciting the mantra.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for inscription translation help on bronze cymbal with stamped and embossed decoration.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Looking for inscription translation help on bronze cymbal with stamped and embossed decoration. 

?

Wow, that was fast!

Thank you Nick, I very much appreciate your efforts!

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by relicz; 01-31-2021 at 11:29 PM.
    Regards,
    John