Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Meiji Japanese Water Canteen

Article about: Hi Guys, This I believe to be a Meiji early style Japanese water canteen , the body is original but the webbing I was told is possible chinese 1950's, the leather strap also is modern, But t

Default Meiji Japanese Water Canteen

Hi Guys, This I believe to be a Meiji early style Japanese water canteen , the body is original but the webbing I was told is possible chinese 1950's,Meiji Japanese Water CanteenMeiji Japanese Water CanteenMeiji Japanese Water Canteen the leather strap also is modern, But the stamped mark on the bottom of canteen is a pure mystery to me , I have tried researching the web but failed , was hopeing against hope that someone out there my be able to enlighten me as to the manufacturers ? stamp . Best Wishes Bern .

I wonder if this is the same company, founded in 1918?
    日東シンコー株式会社
    Nitto Shinko Co., Ltd.
    link

Their website highlights hightech uses for aluminum products, but they also make (made?) aluminum bicycle parts.

I cannot find the "triangle-NITTO" logo online.

Did you see Nick Komiya's article The Evolution of IJA Canteens?

Quote by Nick
    ...1898 Finally an aluminum canteen is available

The delayed delivery of the production machines to Japan had set things back, but by July of 1898 they had finalized the specifications for the new aluminum canteen, which finally came out as Army Ordinance 97 on 21st October 1898. This ordinance launched the new mess kit as well. The canteen specs were announced as follows.

Materials

Canteen body-------------Aluminum

Carry Harness-------------Side Skin Leather

Capacity--------------------3 go (about 540cc)

Weight---------------------78 Mon approx 293 grams (Canteen body 180 grams, harness 113 grams)

Colors----------------------Canteen body to be painted matt black, the carry harness to be in natural leather color (Both the canteens and mess kits in aluminum were thus initially produced in black.)

Manner of wear-----------Cavalrymen were to wear it with the strap slung from the right shoulder, and the canteen hanging at the left hip. Infantrymen were to wear it the other way around slung from the left shoulder.

These canteens never had any type designation, so later when they came up with a new model in 1930 they were simply called “the old model”. Most collectors in Japan call them “Tokkuri (sake bottle)” canteens, because of the shape. Or they name it by the war and call them Russo-Japanese War canteens. Yet some call them the model 98 canteens by the year of introduction, which I will adopt for this article for reason of convenience only. I will adopt the practice of using “Type” only for items officially designated as a “Type approved standard” 制式(Seishiki) and use “Model & Year” to refer to items without official designations.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

With no military marks or acceptance date, the whole thing feels commercial to me; perhaps for a civilian organisation.

Hi Guy , Thank You for your wealth of information which I truly appreciate , I had looked at Nick Komiyas Evolution of IJA canteens ( in fact I've now covered all his Evolutions ~ He was an amazing guy ~ ) in fact in one thread someone had shown a number of logos for information and Nick replyed with information to all of them , I think except two , one of them being mine, (I will look up this Thread , oh I'm sure it had the same design but not the name Nitto inside triangle ) It's so kind of you to look up this logo on line and find Nitto Shinko Ltd. I have been surfing Japanese Aluminium Manufacturers ~ I'm back to a date !898 ? . I shall keep looking . A Massive Thanks to You . Cheers Bern

Thank you Kohima , Good comment , I'm gratefull to all opinions . Best Wishes Bern .

Default Meiji Japanese Water Canteen

Hi Guy , Was real impressed with the kind information you forwarded me . I am still researching logo , but did find the Thread I mentioned ~ sadly the late excellent Nick had no information about Triangle logo , Only yesterday i saw on ebay Japanese canteen with Nitto in Triangle stamped on base , only the 2nd canteen I've ever see with same logo. I have submitted photos , should I ever find out who the logo belongs to you , you would be the first to know , have enjoyed following your threads . Finest Wishes . Bern
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Meiji Japanese Water Canteen   Meiji Japanese Water Canteen  

Meiji Japanese Water Canteen   Meiji Japanese Water Canteen  

?

Quote by Wakizashi View Post
    But the stamped mark on the bottom of canteen is a pure mystery to me, I have tried researching the web but failed, was hoping against hope that someone out there my be able to enlighten me as to the manufacturers ? stamp.
    The company logo belongs to Nitto Aluminium Factory Ltd 日東アルミニユーム製造所 Nittō Aruminiyūmu Seizōjo. The company was located in Ōsaka City.

Search terms for Guy.
    日東アルミニーム製造所 or 日東アルミニーム製造所.

Hi Kiipu,

Thanks!

If you want aluminum products ...
    it's the Triangle Mark

More images at google images

-- Guy

Hi Kilpu , Thank you I am really grateful for your help , and your time ! It's great to add more information about the canteen ~ Thanks to yourself . Cheers Bern

Hi Guy , Oh ya great to see all those logos, I would never have found those google images , ( I believe you speak Jananese ? ) so grateful to you !! I can now get even more pleasure from my NITTO canteen Thank You Sir . Regards Bern .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast