Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Katana

Article about: Hi could the guys in the know have a look at my first Katana , I purchased this from a trusted dealer I have known for a few years, I have always stayed away from these as I have no knowledg

?

Default My first Katana

Hi could the guys in the know have a look at my first Katana , I purchased this from a trusted dealer I have known for a few years, I have always stayed away from these as I have no knowledge in the subject ,but have always wanted one . It was purchased as a WW2 example. I have tried to post pics of the tang the correct way up, but for some reason when I download the turn 90 deg .please have a look and give me the news.
    Many thanks Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Katana   My first Katana  

My first Katana   My first Katana  

勝正
    Katsumasa

二九八〇
    2980 [painted assembly number]

昭和十八年十月
    Shōwa jū hachi-nen jū-gatsu
    October 1943

There were two Katsumasa: one who signed Kojima Katsumasa, the other signed Katsumasa.
    The signature of the Kojima Katsumasa differs from yours (which I've seen on two other swords when I did a google image search; those two mirrored your signature).

Compare:

Kojima Katsumasa 小島勝正:

濃州關住小島勝正 Nōshū Seki-ju Kojima Katsumasa saku)

Katsumasa; these two are the same signature as yours: [I'm guessing 金谷 勝正 Kanaya Katsumasa]

--Guy

?

Thank you very much for the information on the Date and signature, a sigh of relief its WW2 . Was this a traditionally hand made blade as it is signed by a sword smith rather than a machine made blade.
    Tim.
    Last edited by busman; 08-02-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Quote by busman View Post
    Thank you very much for the information on the Date and signature, a sigh of relief its WW2 . Was this a traditionally hand made blade as it is signed by a sword smith rather than a machine made blade.
    Tim.
    That is impossible to tell from your pictures. The blade would need an in hand examination to confirm the construction.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Tim,

The odds are against it being more than a semi machine made blade that has been hand finished. It's still a nice iconic IJA Officer sword in Type 98 mounts with a leather weather/combat covered saya.

Are there any small stamping in the nakago (tang) in the area above the hole? If there are that will tell us more about the blade. Have a look at this linked page and in particular the images along the right side half way down.

Regards,
    Stu

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

?

This may I think be a stamping , a very small mark by the hole.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Katana  

?

Also found this on the reverse of the tang
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Katana  

nice Katana.

Both stamps are partial impressions of

Which is the abbreviation for

名古屋
    Nagoya

Just looking around on Google and found the meaning:
    "Nagoya Military factory checked Stamp"名".

--Guy

?

Thank you so much for the help, I feel rather humbled in the fact I fail in finding this info myself.It gives the Katana so much more meaning for me , knowing this information.
    Many thanks for you time.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast