Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My Navy Canteens

Article about: Starting from earliest pattern to latest. The first (?) model had a seperate cup that went on bottom of canteen under cover. Mine is missing

?

Another
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Navy Canteens   My Navy Canteens  

?

Next two are in my opinion late war navy based on composition material (pressed ?) buckle, coarse fabric & crude construction.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Navy Canteens   My Navy Canteens  

Last edited by Jareth; 01-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.

?

A really nice collection Jareth , many thanks for showing them
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Another late example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Navy Canteens  

?

Next two are odd covers. This one has white canvas cover. In my opinion they were shipboard or field improvised.
    Last edited by Jareth; 01-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.

?

Dark blue wool material

Last edited by Jareth; 01-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.

?

Last are two captured canteens that I believe we're utilized by Japanese navy. First is standard Chinese canteen. Years ago I saw a period photo of a Japanese NLF soldier filling canteens & hanging them on tree branches. Photo showed typical navy canteens plus a few Chinese canteens. This canteen is often misidentified as being Japanese.

Last edited by Jareth; 01-02-2017 at 08:45 PM.

?

Last is a Dutch KNIL canteen that I believe was utilized by the Japanese navy. Feel free to post your canteens! I'd love to see other examples!
    Last edited by Jareth; 01-02-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Do you have translations for the canteen owners' names (other than the correct translations you have)? Let me know and I'll lend a hand.

One thing I noticed is that two canteens have the designation ; one above numbers, another within a circle. By itself, means "finger," but I think this usage might be a contraction of 指導 [shidou/guide/teach).

--Guy

?

Only translations I have were posted. All others need translations. Thanks for your kind offer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast