Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Only Signed FLag

Article about: I looked for a long time for just the right flag to add to my gun room. Honestly, the professional archival mounting cost more than the flag itself did. My friend, Takehito, interpreted the

Default My Only Signed FLag

I looked for a long time for just the right flag to add to my gun room. Honestly, the professional archival mounting cost more than the flag itself did. My friend, Takehito, interpreted the main markings as Habe Saburo with Prayers for everlasting battle fortunes and lots of friends signatures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Only Signed FLag  

MAP
    ?

That is a beauty. I'm looking for a flag like this or a 1,000 stitch belt to display with my small Japanese collection as well. Just waiting till I find something I like (and can afford )

But they do take up a lot of valuable real estate on the wall....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I am scared to take my flag to Hobby Lobby for framing. The price will be crazy.

The cost of framing really can be quite prohibitive and that keeps a lot of people away from "doing it right". As Michael says, they do take up a lot of space on the wall as well. A number of years ago, I may have had about 30 flags displayed on the wall. Now, I have only one, but I enjoy looking at it every time I see it.
    A few years ago the Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts at the Florida Institute of Technology did an exhibition on Japanese Off-to-War Banners, Good Luck Flags, and Senninbari. The opening was heavily attended, and many visitors came through the doors for the 3-4 months that the items were displayed. In addition, each week there were seminars on calligraphy, Japanese flower arranging, etc. The Japanese Cultural Arts Center in southern Florida even sponsored visits.
    The gallery was built to display textiles, with terrifically high ceilings, and lots of them; talk about "real estate"! The floor space alone covered more than 5,000 square feet. I could never have imagined seeing so many 20-40 foot long nobori hanging side by side, nor could I have imagined so many interesting good luck flags and other associated items on display.
    It was a very fascinating show and I visited many, many times as did a number of local schools, veteran's groups and the like.

MichaelB
    Last edited by MichaelB; 09-22-2017 at 05:08 PM.