Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Naval Cap Tag Translation

Article about: Hello Everyone, A friend of mine has offered me a beautiful navy flat cap. But before he turns it over, he wants to know what the tag says. I would greatly appreciate it if some of the more

?

Default Naval Cap Tag Translation

Hello Everyone,
    A friend of mine has offered me a beautiful navy flat cap. But before he turns it over, he wants to know what the tag says. I would greatly appreciate it if some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum could tell me what it says. As soon as I pick it up I can post some photos. Thank you in advance and I apologize if I don’t have the characters oriented correctly.
    Thanks Vic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Naval Cap Tag Translation  

横徴水七〇六〇
    Yokosuka Draftee, Sailor, 7060
    • 横 = 横須賀 Yokosuka
    • 徴 for 徴兵 Chouhei(Draftee). This is often abbreviated -- as in your cap -- by using only the middle portion of ; it looks like over
    • 水 for 水兵 Suihei (Sailor)
    • 7060 His serial number

和佐田 義雄
    Wasada Yoshio

大正十五年八月
    Taisho 15 [1926] August [issue date]

(二)......十四 .....十一月 [Mfg. date]
    Size (2), 14 [1925] November
    [maybe 十三 13 or 十二 12 ... Can't really tell]

佐世保軍需部
    Sasebo Munitions Department

Here's a great resource for Naval Identification Numbers by the late Nick Komiya.

-- Guy

?

Guy, thank you very much. I knew you’d come through. So this is a prewar cap. Now I can show this to my friend and bring the cap home. I’ll post some photos as soon as I get it.