Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Navy Officer's Field Cap

Article about: I picked this one up recently. I've been trying to make sense of the label inside with some success after referring to the posts here and Nick's guide on WAF. But I still don't understand a

?

Default Navy Officer's Field Cap (questionable)

I picked this one up recently. I've been trying to make sense of the label inside with some success after referring to the posts here and Nick's guide on WAF. But I still don't understand a few parts of it. First, photos:
    Navy Officer's Field Cap

Navy Officer's Field Cap

Navy Officer's Field Cap

Navy Officer's Field Cap

Here's what I've got so far.
    入籍番号Entry Registry Number 舞一補三九三六 Maizuru 1st Reserve 3936 (overlooked on the label and added off to the side on inside of cap) 水 (水兵) sailor
    Nick's article mentions that officers should have a 5 digit number. As the owner was called up from reserve perhaps he started off in the enlisted ranks.
    氏名 Name 大谷 春吉 Otani Haruyoshi
    交付年月 issued year month 十八年 十二月 (Showa) 18 year 12 month (1943 Dec.)
    寸法夂 Size ? (not sure what 夂 adds to 寸法)
    裂作年月 ?? year month (don't understand 裂作)(一)十七年 九月 (1) 17 year 9 month (1942 Sep.)
    舞鶴軍需部 Maizuru Depot
    Last edited by Ryoyo; 09-02-2019 at 06:12 AM.

?

This caps been floating around. The yellow added stripes are pause for concern. Never seen another with yellow stripes. They should extend completely to rear of cap & tie adjust holes pierced through stripe. The insignia was removed & hand stitched on which is another bad sign. Yellow stripes were added & in my opinion post war

?

Jareth raises some valuable points.
    As far as I know the officer Class III caps didn't have the regular IJN issue tag. They either had a diamond label, stamp or handwritten name.
    Overall there's a lot of suspicious things about this cap.

?

Not disregarding your suspicions but couldn't this be someone promoted from the ranks and adapting what he had rather than buying new kit? Anyway, not too late to return it and I appreciate the points you make.
    Still, my main reason for posting it is I'm trying to I'm trying to figure out what some of the parts of the label I don't understand mean, in particular the 2 dates. Maybe this cap is bad, but I'd still like to learn that info about the labels for future reference.

寸法製作年月
    Sunpō oyobi seisaku nengetsu
    Dimensions and production date

Note the production date is two years earlier than the issue date.

--Guy

?

It’s far too questionable! You will always have to explain why it is like it is. You will have a hard time selling it to anyone else. Wait for a no-brainer original!

Regards

Russ

?

Who is the seller?

Regards

Russ

?

Quote by RussM View Post
    Who is the seller?
    mdennis3 on eBay. I'm requesting to return it based on everyone's input. You're right, even if it might be a wartime modification, it's not worth fussing with.

Edit: Just confirmed he agreed to take it back, so good for me, but I imagine it will end up being someone else's questionable problem if he relists it.

Could this hat have been white at some time and dyed green ( the green depot tag)?

?

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    Could this hat have been white at some time and dyed green ( the green depot tag)?
    That's a really good observation. It's very plausible given the date, as it was the same month the IJN started making the green Class III caps and uniforms. I'd assume finished caps with the tag would be quickly dyed green before leaving the depot after that decree was passed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast