Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help authenticating good luck flag

Article about: Ive been wanting to add one of these flags to my collection for quite some time. I found an example online for sale that im thinking about getting, but I have no idea if it is a legit piece

Default Need help authenticating good luck flag

Ive been wanting to add one of these flags to my collection for quite some time. I found an example online for sale that im thinking about getting, but I have no idea if it is a legit piece or not. Before I spend a good chunk of cash, could someone please help with authenticating this example? I apologize for the shoddy last photo. For some reason I cant get it to upload properly.

Best regards- Jarret

Need help authenticating good luck flagNeed help authenticating good luck flagNeed help authenticating good luck flagNeed help authenticating good luck flag

Nice to see you posting again, Jarret. Unless I've somehow managed to miss you for the last few months! Tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full.

I'm afraid I'm not much help as far as the flag is concerned, but it looks fine to my eyes. It has the right look of age about it, and the kanji appear smudged in places. That and the dirt would suggest this is one that's been around for a while, and has picked up some honest wear and tear.

Regards, B.B.

?

Weren’t these also made post war as souvenirs for occupying US soldiers. I can’t help with authentication , but watch out the translation doesn’t turn out to be a joke message written by a Japanese shop owner who sold it to a unknowing US soldier!

Nice to see you too B.B. Ive been really busy lately with family matters, and haven't been able to post regularly like I want too. Ill clean out my inbox, and send you a PM soon.

Thanks for the opinion! I agree it has that 'been there, done that look' I may just take the chance and buy it. Would look really nice framed up on my wall.

Best regards- Jarret

?

I'd wait for Nick or Guy to confirm, but my non-Japanese eyes and gut feeling, is that the writing is all done by the same hand, so i'd be a bit wary of this one.

hold off buying it until you get them to respond. You'll feel much better with the green light from them and it won't hurt!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Weren’t these also made post war as souvenirs for occupying US soldiers. I can’t help with authentication , but it’s a funny thought if I was a Japanese shop owner I’d probably write something stupid on a flag and sell it!
    Ive heard of these stories before. That is what scares me about purchasing one. There was definitely a market for these types of souvenirs, and im sure many vets were fooled by shop owners selling fakes.

Best regards- Jarret

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Nice to see you too B.B. Ive been really busy lately with family matters, and haven't been able to post regularly like I want too. Ill clean out my inbox, and send you a PM soon.

Thanks for the opinion! I agree it has that 'been there, done that look' I may just take the chance and buy it. Would look really nice framed up on my wall.

Best regards- Jarret
    Hopefully someone comes along soon who can translate the kanji. Japanese militaria has never been my forte, but I know some blank flags were mocked up with fake kanji by members of the USN construction battalions, or 'Seabees', to sell to Marines looking for souvenirs. I don't think this is one of those, however. It looks very similar to others I've seen for sale on reputable dealer sites. Bill Shea at the Ruptured Duck always seems to have a few of these, all similar in appearance to this one.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by stegel View Post
    I'd wait for Nick or Guy to confirm, but my non-Japanese eyes and gut feeling, is that the writing is all done by the same hand, so i'd be a bit wary of this one.

hold off buying it until you get them to respond. You'll feel much better with the green light from them and it won't hurt!
    Thats a very valid point. All of the markings do look quite similar.

Best regards- Jarret

You may find this thread interesting: Japanese Flag - Phillipines

It notes that the writing being done by the same hand is one characteristic sign of a Seabee flag. So while it may not be an 'authentic' Japanese-made flag, it's equally interesting as far as the history goes.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Hopefully someone comes along soon who can translate the kanji. Japanese militaria has never been my forte, but I know some blank flags were mocked up with fake kanji by members of the USN construction battalions, or 'Seabees', to sell to Marines looking for souvenirs. I don't think this is one of those, however. It looks very similar to others I've seen for sale on reputable dealer sites. Bill Shea at the Ruptured Duck always seems to have a few of these, all similar in appearance to this one.

Regards, B.B.
    Ive been on an IJA buying spree these past few weeks. I purchased some other cool items, and now im hooked on these Japanese artifacts. Cant wait to upload the other pieces I picked up for you guys to see. Im exited to finally be diversifying my collection some.

Best regards- Jarret

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast