Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!

Article about: Hello all. Recently, I was able to pick up this navy EM's field cap at a fairly good price. The seller seems to be quite trustworthy. However, one thing which confused me was the markings on

Unhappy Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!

Hello all. Recently, I was able to pick up this navy EM's field cap at a fairly good price. The seller seems to be quite trustworthy. However, one thing which confused me was the markings on the inside of the cap.

Instead of the usual issuing stamps, it is simply marked "59". I am assuming that is the size of the cap. That alone is quite odd, as I thought standard-issue items would always have the issue stamps present. (Pictures are attached).

Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!

After some digging, I was able to pinpoint some similar markings like these: Nakata Shouten, a Japanese company that makes reproductions.

However, their caps are also different- They have a Nakata Shouten stamp/marking beside the number. (Pics attached). My cap only has the numbers with no other markings. One more thing to add is that the cap is located in the US; it is quite rare to see Nakata Shouten items there.

Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!Need help authenticating a Naval EM's field cap!!

After some more digging, I was able to find caps with similar markings to mine on liveauctioneers.com.
    WWII IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVY MARINE EM BILLED CAP - Aug 22, 2019 | Affiliated Auctions in FL
    WWII IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVY MARINE EM BILLED CAP - Aug 22, 2019 | Affiliated Auctions in FL
    WWII IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVAL MARINES BILLED CAP - Nov 14, 2019 | Affiliated Auctions in FL

These caps do look quite aged, which could mean that they are genuine. However, I have never been able to find a cap with similar markings outside of liveauctioneers.

So this cap does not seem to have the usual issuing stamps, nor does it have the telltale Nakata Shouten stamp. Could this be a real item, an unmarked Nakata Shouten reproduction, or some other mystery reproduction? Were there instances of Enlisted Mens' headgear being issued with only a size number and nothing else?

I'm really at quite a loss. Could anyone help me with authenticating these caps?

?

100% Nakata Shoten, has his stamp and much thicker material than originals.

EDIT: Just realized it's two different repros compared. Yours is Nakata Shoten movie prop stock that wasn't produced with his stamp. They were later resold stateside by vendors such as World War Supply. Thousands on the market.

?

I agree. Reproduction.

Thank you Adachi and Jareth.

"Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.