Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help on Identifying Bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently was gifted a bayonet. I don't know anything remotely about bayonets whatsoever. The only thing I know is that some of them come with serial or id numbers, but this

Default Need Help on Identifying Bayonet

Hello everyone,

I recently was gifted a bayonet. I don't know anything remotely about bayonets whatsoever. The only thing I know is that some of them come with serial or id numbers, but this one has absolutely no engravings or manufacturer stamps, exept for some kind of very faded numbers or letters painted in white on the grip. The blade has no sharpening, it's completely dull. So it's basically an unmarked, unknown, unused bayonet. Does someone has any idea of what type of bayonet could this be (and if it is even an original piece)?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help on Identifying Bayonet   Need Help on Identifying Bayonet  

Need Help on Identifying Bayonet   Need Help on Identifying Bayonet  

Looks Japanese to me.

Agreed, looks like a type 30 bayonet.

I think it is probably a type 30 training bayonet.
    The blade looks like it has had its bluing removed. I read somewhere that the training bayonets has a polished dull blade while the issues ones for combat use had a sharpened blued blade. Also I think the writing on the grip probably refers to the training school where it was used. Unfortunately I can’t help you with which one that would have been.

IMHO it is a trainer ( no arsenal stamp), the photo of the handle is upsidedown and when rotated the kanji reads top to bottom the numbers 3 and 6, hope this helps, best to wait until one of the bayonet guys stroll by:
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

Yep Shemp your right obviously an upside down 3 6 on the handle. I completely over looked what it actually was!

?

Yes it’s a trainer for sure

?

It should be training bayonet or a chinese copy.

?

What you have there is a training bayonet its a common bayonet early type because its got the screws holding the grip and a early hook cross-guard has a common countoured grip its original for sure the number on the side is probably the school number it was sent to military /junior high schools these type of bayonets some of them dont fit on the regular arisaka rifle as they were made for training rifles a little bit different the blade on these types are not tempered usually there very soft steel and bend easy and are dull the scabbard looks correct for the period to bad it wansnt taken care of all these years its not worth much on the market as it is in bad shape but its a type 30 WWII for sure or earlier