Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help in Identifying NCO Sword

Article about: Hi All, Im new here and I've read a couple of threads but it seems like the photos I got vs the ones in here and in the guides that I found, I cant seem to conclude if the one being sold (wh

Pogz
    ?

Default Need Help in Identifying NCO Sword

Hi All,

Im new here and I've read a couple of threads but it seems like the photos I got vs the ones in here and in the guides that I found, I cant seem to conclude if the one being sold (which I wanted to buy) is authentic. Closest I could do is identify it as a Type 95. Maybe you guys here could check it and judge. Sorry for the low quality potato pictures, its just from the original poster.

Thanks!

Are those numbers on the blade?

It looks like a type 98 handle with a type 95 blade. Are there numbers on the scabbard as well?

The experts will chime in shortly.

Without better photos, I would say this is likely a Chinese copy.
    Wait for other opinions though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

If legitimate Japanese, it is a mish-mash of Type 95 blade in Type 98 fittings. The quality of the blade looks poor or it is "Damascus" steel (which is fake). If I were buying it, I would ask for more pics of the blade, including tip and tang.

?

Unless it is very cheap, I would pass.

?

Genuine Type 98 fittings with a late war, unfullered NCO blade. Serial 2??716 which is the right range for the blade.

The parts all look legitimate, so the question is by who and when the sword was assembled. Would be good to see the habaki on the mune side (for fit) and obviously the nakago, so it is possible to determine if the blade was re-drilled, ground or filed and how recently that looks to have been done.

I doubt that the blade should be in those mounts, but with the research Nick undertook suggesting the severe shortage of swords led to a 'rent a sword' programme, who knows? I think unlikely though, since the blade was army (or the emperor's) property.

Ultimately we need more pictures of better quality.
    Last edited by Shamsy; 08-24-2017 at 02:58 AM.

Pogz
    ?

Thanks for the leads guys. It was posted with a tag of 1,000+ USD which i think is kind of absurd. Will reach out to the owner and ask to send more pictures.

?

That's WAY too much!! I'd want a really nice 98 for that kind of money. This is genuine parts by all signs, but the construction is questionable at this time.

?

For a $1000 you can get a decent all original Shin-Gunto in something close to polish with no issues. This is at best a parts sword, and the parts don't match.