MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with japanese sword markings

Article about: I have a sword I acquired from a ww2 vet. He claimed to have taken it off a soldier in the pacific. I have done some research and it seems to have the correct arsenal stamp (cherry blossom),

Default Need help with japanese sword markings

I have a sword I acquired from a ww2 vet. He claimed to have taken it off a soldier in the pacific. I have done some research and it seems to have the correct arsenal stamp (cherry blossom), and 7 engraved markings on the tang. The swords blade is in rough shape with a lot of patina and some pits, but the overall condition is decent. I was hoping someone here could help me translate the markings on the tang? Thanks for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with japanese sword markings   Need help with japanese sword markings  

Need help with japanese sword markings   Need help with japanese sword markings  

Default Re: Need help with japanese sword markings

It is difficult to read the first and third character of the signature from the photographs. It reads ? shu(province) ?(likely a city) Kanemitsu(maker's name). This is a WW2 era blade and likely oil tempered or machine made.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the reply. What do you think a sword in this condition might be worth? Ill post a few more pics maybe they'll be a bit more clear. Thanks again for the help.Need help with japanese sword markingsNeed help with japanese sword markingsNeed help with japanese sword markings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with japanese sword markings   Need help with japanese sword markings  

I've found that it's a showa marking on top (arsenal, cherry blossom) I think the 1st two characters mean noshu (province) last 3 mean kanemitsu made. Just need help with the 3rd and 4th marks. Are those possibly dates? I can't match them to anything I've found so far. Thanks in advance for any replies.

R.J.

濃州関住兼光作(Nōshū Seki-jū Kanemitsu saku)
    Seki sword smith 後藤松蔵.
    Third kanji is cursive style "関“
    Need help with japanese sword markings