Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka

Article about: I interview ww2 veterans in my free time and met one who had a couple swords, rifles, and bayonets that he took from Okinawa. He was interested in translating them but hadn't yet been able t

Default Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka

I interview ww2 veterans in my free time and met one who had a couple swords, rifles, and bayonets that he took from Okinawa. He was interested in translating them but hadn't yet been able to. What do the markings on the arisakas and the sword mean? Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka   Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka  

Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka   Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka  

Need help translating markings on sword and Arisaka  

?

Both rifles are marked on the receiver top with 九九式 which means Type 99. The full name of the rifle is 九九式短小銃 Type 99 Short Rifle. The 99 refers to the year of introduction which in the Gregorian calendar is 1939. Beneath the rifles are two Type 30 Bayonets which should fit the rifles above.

関住毛利圀元作
    Seki Juu Mori Kunimoto saku
    (stamp) Made bu Mori Kunimoto of Seki
    The character for Kuni is an uncommon variant of 國/国.

I’m away from my computer and resources until 20 June; this is the best I can do — can’t find background on him using my iPhone.

— Guy

I just found his real name:

圀元 (Kunimoto)

毛利 一男
    Mori Kazuo

the page did not give the romaji for his name, but it is read “Kazuo”.

Oh wow that’s amazing! I thought it was like a company name. So just to make sure I got it right, the sword inscription reads: “made by Mori Kazuo Kunimoto of Seki”?

Oh and also would the name be that of the soldiers or a sword maker the solider got it from?

Swordsmiths used an "art name" for their work. The man, Mori Kazuo, used the art name "Mori Kunimoto" on his blades. So the blade inscription only says "made by Mori Kunimoto of Seki", but from reference books, we learn his real name - Kazuo. The scabbard (saya) is what we call and "informal" or "combat scabbard" of the Type 98 Japanese officer sword.

The one above it, with the intact handguard, is a Type 32. Made from 1899 to 1936. There were 2 lengths. The first, or 'KO' was 39" overall, with a 32" blade. The second, or "OTSU", was 36" overall with a 30" blade. The KO was for cavalry NCO's and the OTSU was for transportation, infantry, engineers, and artillery NCO's. There should be a serial number on the drag and the neck of the blade. Also there are usually small stamps on the broad face of the handguard that can give us a date.

Finally, I assume there is no writing on the other side of the Kunimoto tang?

Hi, thank you for all the info! There isn’t anymore writing on the other side, I’ll have to take a look for the serial numbers, length, and stamps of the other one, l’ll post back here once I find something out. Thanks again!