Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New additions for my Dog Tag Collection

Article about: Hello everybody, Picked up some more Japanese dog tags for my collection… I think I’m going completely mad recently, just buying buying buying… it’s an addiction at this point so I h

?

Default New additions for my Dog Tag Collection

Hello everybody,

Picked up some more Japanese dog tags for my collection… I think I’m going completely mad recently, just buying buying buying… it’s an addiction at this point so I have to work on that.

Anyway 1st pickup is the tag of major „Yasunari Shimada“ commanding officer of the 54th (Sendai) aerial squadron… I did read up on him a little bit in English only few information is accessible though… sorry that the picture is that low quality, when it arrives I’ll make better ones.

2nd pickup are these tags here in this little lot with a few more bits and pieces of Japanese militaria… Brass IJA Army tag looks like „7746“ to me, which would be the 2nd infantry regiment, part of the 14th division „Teru“ on Palau… the middle plastic tag I can’t say anything about, looks not like a great item though (only the back has some appeal with the US soldier capture engraving IMO)… but I really don’t know???? Maybe someone can translate???? The right tag appears to be a unissued IJN tag???? Although it has some faint writing on the back… maybe a name????

Maybe somebody could also tell me a little about the other bits and pieces in the lot, I do like the enamel pin????

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks already.
    - Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New additions for my Dog Tag Collection   New additions for my Dog Tag Collection  

?

You’re the guy I bought it from right???? I did find it again on worthpoint i knew it sold on eBay before few years ago…

Yeah I did saw that, the 2nd and 3rd Chudai were stationed in the Kuril Islands, but I think he was not (he was with 1st Chudai in Taiwan I believe)????
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New additions for my Dog Tag Collection  

Hi! Ben, Very nice IJA and IJN tag collection you have there mate
    I too also collect IJA and IJN I.D. Tags. I have similar IJN tag made of celluloid material just like yours. The oval white plastic one is a worker’s “gate pass” for the “Kusugaura gate” of the Yokosuka Naval Yard.

?

Quote by Gunbatsu View Post
    Hi! Ben, Very nice IJA and IJN tag collection you have there mate
    I too also collect IJA and IJN I.D. Tags. I have similar IJN tag made of celluloid material just like yours. The oval white plastic one is a worker’s “gate pass” for the “Kusugaura gate” of the Yokosuka Naval Yard.
    Ok yes i see... So the middle one is a gate Pass for one specific gate of the yokosuka naval Port, that makes sense. Thank you so much for your help... Very nice collection you have there... I like the way you mixed some more items together.

I did Research Shimada a little further used Google translate and copy paste etc. Seems the 1st chudai only Split from the 54th aviation squadron in early 1944... So he was on kuril islands before his move to taiwan... There is also a write up on the "Beginning of the Kuril Air War" where he is mentioned several times... Seems they did engage US Planes (who started from the Adak, Attu & Kiska Airfields) several times where also some planes from both sides where shot down... The 54th managed to get the first confirmed US Plane shot down over mainland... Also i find it fascinating that one Ki 43 (pilot: jiro yokosaki) from the 54th did a suicidal ramming attack on a US B24, what an absolute mad lad... I also include a picture of a particularly noteworthy section about Shimada himself:

What an incredible piece of history this Japanese Dog Tag is, i cant wait to hold it in my hands now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New additions for my Dog Tag Collection