Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Obon Holiday Flags from the Store Rafters

Article about: I have had these ones and about 5 others for quite some time and finally thought of asking for opinions before I throw them all back as the mites on them have started to have a bite #1. Feel

Default Obon Holiday Flags from the Store Rafters

I have had these ones and about 5 others for quite some time and finally thought of asking for opinions before I throw them all back as the mites on them have started to have a bite
    #1. Maybe not silk and feels more like viscose though not sure. May test sometime.
    #2. Probably same material as 1.
    #3. A senninbari type flag probably silk.
    #4. I tiny flag probably in cotton and a sewn on meat ball.
    As always, thank you all in advance!

I don't see any connection to Obon, but they all appear authentic, though not particularly exciting, just with names.

2nd one was presented by a Navy Engineer and 3rd one was from a woman, who got it consecrated by the Hachimangu Shrine and added a poem of hers. What's a "Senninbari type flag"? I cannot see anything Senninbari about the flag.

The badly moth eaten one is probably not silk, as silk rarely gets mothing, except by a certain beetle. Testing whether it is silk can be done by folding an edge of the fabric over and rubbing the fold between your fingers. Artificial material will rub against each other smoothly, while silk will act abrasively against each other, due to microscopic coarseness of the fiber's surface.

Thank you very much for your comments and insight, Nick. Yes, no relation to Obon. I should have worded it properly that I was doing some Obon holiday cleaning up. And by Sennin-bari type I meant the knots or stitches on the meatball of flag #3.

Yes, now after enlarging, I see the knots in the meatball, which escaped me before. At first glance, I did not feel much love packed into the perfunctory appearance of the flag Nobuko Matsuyama presented to someone, but yes it's there, a kind of love only she could give, hence in small good luck charm size instead of a Yosegaki size.