Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Officer's cape?

Article about: Some time before the lockdowns started here in the UK, I bought a job lot of Japanese items. I have been meaning to post on the clothing, and seek help and information to assist in determini

Default Officer's cape?

Some time before the lockdowns started here in the UK, I bought a job lot of Japanese items. I have been meaning to post on the clothing, and seek help and information to assist in determining whether an item is officer's private purchase or for non-military use (or additionally a reproduction)?
    I'll start with this cape. It seems well-made, and seems to have age, though it is in good condition.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Officer's cape?Officer's cape?Officer's cape?Officer's cape?Officer's cape?

The cape is named to Setsuzo Itoh. MPs typically wore capes in the Army, but theirs were 2-button and 3-buttoned cuts for the Type 5 and Type 98 respectively. Apprentice officers and Gunzoku also had capes, but with a fly front. At the moment, I cannot place that style of cape precisely within the army.

Thanks Nick. Are civilians likely to have worn such a military style garment?
    Cheers,
    Tony

Unlike in Europe, capes never really caught on in Japan and people generally wore rain coats or overcoats. Civilians wearing capes were typically university students or nurses, very limited. So it is hard to imagine this being civilian. Army officers could choose to wear capes, though a minority, but those often had a collar band that held the cape to the neck and the rest hanging in the back like a Superhero's cape.

Sorry, I now see that yours has that neckband, too. Now more likely to be an officer's cape as you said.