Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinion on Gunto Sword

Article about: I am new to Japanese WW2 swords, so I figured I would solicit knowledge from here before spending any money. The seller states this sword has a shorter 22inch blade an appeared to be a Koto

Default Opinion on Gunto Sword

I am new to Japanese WW2 swords, so I figured I would solicit knowledge from here before spending any money. The seller states this sword has a shorter 22inch blade an appeared to be a Koto blade cut down for WW2 fitting. The saya and tsuka are both leather covered, possibly late war? Overall length of 28.9 inches. Hamon is apparently present just faded from time. No markings on the tang can be found. Any info or opinions on this sword are appreciated before I would buy. Thanks in advance.

Opinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto SwordOpinion on Gunto Sword

If it were an older cut down blade, I would expect to see more than one hole for a meguki.
    Other members know far more about these than I do though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Swat!

I doubt this was cut down for the war. The army preferred full-length swords. Now short officers had the option to buy a shorter sword, to fit them better. The leather covering is normal for a civil sword refitted for the war, though the cover on the tsuka (handle) isn't seen as often.

The rough koiguchi (scabbard throat cap) and rough habaki MAY indicate late war manufacture. Considering the really good condition of the leather, late-war is likely.

I'm bothered by the look of the blade tip, but that may be the angle of your photos. Could you provide a straight-on close-up of the blade tip, nice and perpendicular?

I agree with Bruce, it looks like a wakizashi that was refitted for WW2 combat use.

-- Guy

Those are the only pictures I have access to unfortunately. Interesting information though.

?

Rough condition does not mean roughly made, it can mean rough usage, poor maintenance or simply that it is old. This looks like a classic example of a militarised uchigatana.