Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag

Article about: Hello, I'm a new collector to the interesting world of Imperial Japanese militaria, Found this beautiful flag at a gunshow for an excellent price. figured at worse the price was low enough I

Default Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag

Hello, I'm a new collector to the interesting world of Imperial Japanese militaria, Found this beautiful flag at a gunshow for an excellent price. figured at worse the price was low enough I'd get a pretty cool "been there" looking flag to hang on my wall, at best it is original, if she is I'm really throwing the idea around of getting her professionally framed. I'm not overly familiar with these other then the fact that a real flag should have the reinforced corners which this one does, they appear to be a gold painted leather on top of a canvas looking materiel with steel grommets. The thing that Kinda irks me is the fringe, I really haven't seen a lot of Japanese flags with white fringe, Any idea what that could mean? Any information is appreciated! thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag   Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag  

Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag  

?

What is the size? The ones I've seen with a fringe like this (usually in gold or yellow) have all been from Organisations or Clubs but they're not rising sun flags, they have various designs on them. I don't know what this one represents, perhaps a reunion? There are others here who will be able to offer more enlightened info.

Regards

Russ

No, not an army flag, but purely for civilian use. Such flags with a fringe were meant for hanging at the entrance of a home, whereas those without a fringe were handier and portable for waving at parades, etc. The presence or the color of the fringe had no significance, it was only an option to make the flag look more luxurious.

Likely originally sold as a set with a standard meatball national flag.

As mentioned by Russ, a standard feature on school, company and organization flags that need to look dignified.

Longer, bushier fringes with a thinner woven band are more expensive, as shown in the "degree of luxury scale" below.

Also shown is the standard anatomy of a school flag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag   Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 10-05-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen. the flag without the fringe measures roughly 36x22, give or take half an inch. I appreciate the pictures and info Nick, I had no idea something like flags could have a level of luxury associated with them, learn something new every day!

Read this to learn why it is not an army flag, but 100% civilian.

The trim design looks very similar to the Youth League (青少年団)insignia.Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag

Quote by fukuoka View Post
    The trim design looks very similar to the Youth League (青少年団)insignia.
    Rich,

I was wondering what those "birds" were. Thanks!

-- Guy

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Read this to learn why it is not an army flag, but 100% civilian.
    Thanks Nick, very well written and very informative. Particularly liked reading about them using flags that were worn down to little more then fringe, it's something I've heard bits and pieces about but never really had the chance to know why.

Quote by fukuoka View Post
    The trim design looks very similar to the Youth League (青少年団)insignia.Opinions on an army Rising Sun flag
    Thanks, I knew I recognized that symbol but couldn't pinpoint where i had seen it. I took a closer look at the ribbon and if it wasn't folded (to cover both sides of the flag ) it would look just like that symbol, One large eagle over a smaller one. hard to get a picture of but that has to be it, would it be safe to say this flag was used by them? After a bit of searching there doesn't really seem to be a lot about them, Is there somewhere i can go to learn more?

Quote by TheYardbird View Post
    ...Is there somewhere i can go to learn more?
    Here's a thesis. Click the "Download" button on the right margin. It covers Meiji ~ Taisho eras .... but not the Showa era.

The abstract:
    Seinendan: Youth Associations as Social Technologyin Late Meiji and Taishō Japan

This thesis is an investigation into the rise of the rural youth association (seinendan) movement in Japan, focusing on the period from around 1890 to the first years of World War I. Treatment is also given to genealogical connections and differences between these associations and earlier rural social groupings, which the Greater Japan Federations of Youth Associations (est. 1925) narrativized as its historical antecedents and a primordial expression of Japanese national essence. Modern seinendan provided new opportunities for local notables and the state to deal with problems of governance and promoting rural reform. Using primary sources, extended attention is given to how elite bureaucrats conceived of self-governance as organizational paradigm for administrative units and, eventually, individuals. Lastly, the origins and instrumentalization in Japan of the concept of youth as a stage distinct from childhood are discussed in transnational context, with particular focus on the rise of youth psychology.
    - Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast