Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Rising Sun 8th Class

Article about: Hello everybody. Since I don't know much about Japanese medals and decorations, I need to ask you guys about this Order of the Rising Sun 8th Class that I am thinking about buying. I don't k

Default Order of the Rising Sun 8th Class

Hello everybody.
    Since I don't know much about Japanese medals and decorations, I need to ask you guys about this Order of the Rising Sun 8th Class that I am thinking about buying. I don't know if it is pre-war, war-era or post-war. I don't even know if it is fake tho'. Could you please help? All opinions very much appreciated, thank you.

(Unfortunately these are the only photos I have.)

Eren.

Order of the Rising Sun 8th ClassOrder of the Rising Sun 8th ClassOrder of the Rising Sun 8th Class

This photo clearly shows the sliver lettering on the lid, indicating WW2 vintage. See here about the switch from gold foil during the war.

Thanks a lot Nick! I'm really grateful.
    I am reading your articles about the subject at the moment and they are great. Especially for amateurs like me. Thanks for sharing your hard-earned knowledge and experience with me and this community.

Eren.

i always wondered about the lettering now i know. so when did they switch back to gold or was there such a surplus of cases? i see lots of medals that are post war in gold.

In Japan, WW2 orders for bravery were only awarded to KIAs, and survivors were to have all their personal scores tallied after the war was won and be awarded for their overall accomplishments. But defeat reset their scores to zero, so those who survived their daring deeds of bravery in WW2 never received anything for their efforts.

Cases were to be mass-produced at the end of the war and the mounting number of KIA awards during the war already exhausted inventory of available cases, so that awards were given out in paper wrappers with a promise that cases will follow after the war.

Awarding only resumed in 1964, when they were able to use gold foil again on the lid lettering.