Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Japanese Type 95 Gunto NCO Sword?

Article about: I recently purchased this Japanese Type 95 NCO sword. I have been searching for one for a while and finally found one I could afford. While the sword shows lots of use, it does have matching

Default Original Japanese Type 95 Gunto NCO Sword?

I recently purchased this Japanese Type 95 NCO sword. I have been searching for one for a while and finally found one I could afford. While the sword shows heavy use, it does have matching serial numbers. While it appears to be original to me, I wanted to get some second opinions on the piece. From what research I have done it looks to be Nagoya Arsenal made under the Kokura administration (not sure if this is correct). Serial number is 66598. I believe it would of been manufactured in 1941. Does this look to be an original? Any info on this sword would be helpful as well.

?

Hi KMC,
    It appears original to me also! I agree with what you have already stated, but can add that the subcontractor who supplied the Arsenal was GIFU.
    The handle and matching nagoya scabbard seem to have most of the paint cleaned off, and both the machine screw from the handle and the tassel ring from the end of the handle are missing . The blade is tarnished as well, All of these would detract from the sword and lower the overall price if you were to re-sell. However, if you're after a wall hanger, then this is a real nice one!
    The missing parts are not normally missing, and indicate post-war disassembly. Some shady dealers also strip these parts and try to make more money by asking high prices for them on ebay for example.
    I also place it being made around mid 1941, and it is the correct subcontractor for the serial number range shown.
    Overall, it's a Genuine piece, that makes a nice wall hanger or display especially if gotten at the right price!
    There are alot of dealers asking high prices for these (especially the more minty examples), but they are not selling well at all.
    The ones that are selling are generally being auctioned off and overall prices have dropped somewhat.
    Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the additional info Stegel. I don't mind the parts missing and condition issues. I do agree that the screw was most likely taken out post war. I recently saw a scabbard that was in worse shape than this one that sold for more than I paid for this matching sword and scabbard, so I think I did pretty good. I'm on a very limited budget, so was thankful to find this one.

?

Quote by stegel View Post
    I agree with what you have already stated, but can add that the subcontractor who supplied the Arsenal was GIFU.
    The maker is listed in Japanese documents as Seki Cutlery 関刃物 and used the character 岐 as a logo. However, there were two entities that started with those characters, Seki Cutlery Manufacturers Society 関刃物工業組合 and Seki Cutlery Company, Limited 関刃物株式會社. Unfortunately for collectors, it is not known which one was the manufacturer of these swords.

Starting in the 82,000 range, the company and logo changed to Seki Sword Company, Limited 関刀剣株式會社. This company was identified by means of a brochure that included the logo on the cover!
    Arsenal Stamps. - Page 4 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Last edited by Kiipu; 08-16-2020 at 02:27 AM.

Thank you Kiipu for the additional information on the manufacture. I'll print out the info and put it with the sword.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    The maker is listed in Japanese documents as Seki Cutlery 関刃物 and used the character 岐 as a logo. However, there were two entities that started with those characters, Seki Cutlery Manufacturers Society 関刃物工業組合 and Seki Cutlery Company, Limited 関刃物株式會社. Unfortunately for collectors, it is not known which one was the manufacturer of these swords.

Starting in the 82,000 thousand range, the company and logo changed to Seki Sword Company, Limited 関刀剣株式會社. This company was identified by means of a brochure that included the logo on the cover!
    Kiipu,
    I went back and checked Ohmura's page on that. He had simply called the "Gi" "unknown".

Thanks VERY much for explaining the Gifu on the Type 95s!!! I will annotate this on the Stamps Doc.

Now on the later version of the stamp, he called it the "Seki Katana Co." Is that not a correct translation of the name?

?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Now on the later version of the stamp, he called it the "Seki Katana Co." Is that not a correct translation of the name?
    I went and looked at his website and I could not find the reference to Seki Katana. He refers to the company by its name in rōmaji, Seki Tōken.
    関刀剣株式會社 = Seki Tōken KK = Seki Sword Co., Ltd.

"An Arsenal trademark and inspection mark"
    造兵廠の標識 An Arsenal trademark and inspection mark

?

Thanks Kiipu for the Correction,
    Like many collectors in the past, i just called it GIFU because of the logo they used.
    I think it is called the same in Dawson's and F&G, which is where i first seen it.

?

Nothing wrong with calling it Gifu 岐阜. I just wanted to bring to light that the identity is still open for discussion. Below are the characters and a translation along with a link below to the production documents. A work still in progress as is so much of the Type 95 story.
    関刃物 = Seki Hamono = Seki Cutlery.
    Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Quote by Kiipu View Post

Starting in the 82,000 range, the company and logo changed to Seki Sword Company, Limited 関刀剣株式會社. This company was identified by means of a brochure that included the logo on the cover!
    The 岐 stamp was used without sakura on Type 95 fuchi. On blades, it is in a sakura. Do we know if they are both of the Seki Cutlery operation?
    Or is it possible the stamp without sakura on 95s is of the Seki Cutlery Company, while the stamp in sakura on blades is of the Seki Cutlery Manufacturers Society?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast