Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an original winter cap?

Article about: Hello all, I have been looking for an IJA enlisted wool cap to complimante my wool uniform. This one has seen better days but is more in line with my affordability. Apologies for the bad pic

Default Is this an original winter cap?

Hello all,
    I have been looking for an IJA enlisted wool cap to compliment my wool uniform. This one has seen better days but is more in line with my affordability. Apologies for the bad pics. It appears original but I would love some opinions before purchase. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an original winter cap?   Is this an original winter cap?  

Is this an original winter cap?   Is this an original winter cap?  

Is this an original winter cap?  

?

It looks like it definetely has mothing... thats usually a good sign of age, but that is just a assumption.

Mate it looks in really bad shape,even if cheap..It probably wont last long in that condition...Looks original to me,but the pics would need to be better for a definite answer

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Mate it looks in really bad shape,even if cheap..It probably wont last long in that condition...Looks original to me,but the pics would need to be better for a definite answer
    Thanks for your advice. I agree that this one probably needs restoration to survive (if even possible). The damage to the brim/bill is concerning - The leather band appears almost broken - the rest of the cap appears pretty solid. I do also worry about possible damage in transit as it’s overseas. It's 'cheap' compared to others. A hard one. Thanks again mate.

?

The lack of interior ink stamps points to either officer's cap or civilian cap. I agree it's in very poor condition

Rod
    ?

I'd save the photos and forget the cap. As Jareth says it is either an officer, probably of the reserve or civilian.

The problem with some items is that they were made for the civilian market by military suppliers with a distinctly military flavour to them. There was either a brass star or factory/group insignia originally, on later "field" caps the brass star is not a front line army device, again reserve at best.

The chin strap is rubber coated fabric that has gone brittle with age and won't survive much handling. In this condition and without a clear IJA provenance it doesn't appear to fit the criteria.

Great info, cheers Rod and Jareth. The time you have taken to help me out here is truly what makes this a great forum and is much appreciated

I did, in the end, take your advice and I passed on it. I do believe it's safer to spend a little more and be sure...